Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI dunno about them but those are my thoughts exactly
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13019101&mesg_id=13019481
13019481, I dunno about them but those are my thoughts exactly
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed May-11-16 09:41 AM
I made a post after my son was born about a quasi-relative whose church friend wanted to come see the new baby. A church friend we didn’t know and had never met and never heard of until we had our son. I thought that shit was creepy and weird and had about a million red flags. That didn’t mean she was going to do anything or that she wasn’t well meaning, but that’s such an odd thing to me. The very idea of requesting to visit a stranger’s newborn screams predatory to me. Most people love babies but the boundaries for that sort of thing should be obvious to everyone.

I was pretty adamant against the visit and posted up here to see if I was overreacting. I eventually relented in part because, despite the average OKP view of me, I’m a sensible adult who realizes that every hang up I have shouldn’t be projected onto everyone around me and I ultimately did my wife the basic courtesy of deferring to her judgment in the matter.

OKP’s by and large didn’t see the big deal. Meanwhile I’d recently read a story about a woman who snatched a newborn. I think your urge is perfectly normal and reasonable, but only because your natural understanding of boundaries overrides the urge itself- like most of our entries in here.

Those who can’t contain such a desire to a Scrubs cutaway moment though? Batshit.