Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI scanned it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12937149&mesg_id=12937838
12937838, I scanned it.
Posted by denny, Wed Dec-02-15 10:17 PM
Doesn't seem like the numbers are at odds with what I posted. Firstly, Gotta remember the stats I posted were specifically for drug convictions and nothing else. This is the most appropriate section for the OP:

Women of all races use drugs at approximately the same rate, but women of color are arrested and imprisoned at much higher rates.

In New York State, 91% of women receiving prison sentences for drug crimes are women of color, although they make up only 32% of the New York state population.
In Minnesota, women of color make up 27% of the drug crime prison sentences given to women although they make up only 5% of the state population.
In California, women of color make up 54% of the prison sentences given to women convicted of drug crimes even though women of color make up only 38% of the state population.

The numbers I posted were national so these regional statistics don't contradict the national rates.

As an aside.....I also take acception to the use of POC or WOC when talking about prison statistics. Mostly, because it waters down the argument for blacks and latinos. Asians are significantly under-represented in prisons in both Canada and the US. Even compared to whites. So using 'POC' in statistics is gonna weaken/water-down any argument advocating for black people and prison sentencing.