Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI was chopping it up with some session musicians earlier today
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12928735&mesg_id=12929030
12929030, I was chopping it up with some session musicians earlier today
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Nov-16-15 02:42 AM
My kids have drum practice at the Buddhist center Sundays and they guy teaching has been a session drummer for years. One guy that's usually there is an engineer and bassist, one plays drums and piano and engineers as well. I was telling them that I'm buying another Pro Tools rig, but I'm getting a console with it 'cause I hate "mouse mixing" as well as a new keyboard controller with "a shitload of knobs, sliders, and drum pads on it" to use with my synth plugins.

This statement caused a "get off my lawn" style reminiscing session from all of us about how much mixing in software sucks, programming synths with a mouse sucks, and how the lack of knobs and other tactile interfaces is just terrible. Many tales were told by all about various pieces of hardware we've owned, different consoles we've used, and the like.

In the end, the decision to get a console with *some* knobs and faders, even if they're "multi-function" was universally lauded as the right thing to do.

maybe we're just old farts (though I'm by far the youngest of the group), but shit just works a lot better with something to touch.
---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.