Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYeah but latency is a HUGE variable that all but deads this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12928735&mesg_id=12928933
12928933, Yeah but latency is a HUGE variable that all but deads this
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Nov-15-15 06:56 PM
I'm not trying to crush your opinion or anything, but I've spent a considerable time in both worlds and have had several completely different setups going back to 1999.

By far, the best, most reliable, and "tightest" setup in terms of sequencer timing was with the MPC 2K and Motif ES Rack.

The latency factor with software, even with higher end multicore processors with software optimized for multicore support and high ram capacity, the actual timing still doesn't compare. The algorythms can be as tight and accurate as you want, but even the latency of most computer systems (i.e, combination of processor, optimization of the OS and software, sound card/interface quality, RAM, etc) people are using wouldn't be able to take advantage it anyways.

Unless you're focusing squarely on the masses having the best possible overall computer setup and knowing how to optimize for midi and audio recording, there isn't a real discussion to be had on this IMO.