Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: This is a lie.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12922248&mesg_id=12924062
12924062, RE: This is a lie.
Posted by daryloneal, Sat Nov-07-15 03:57 PM
In my opinion, dropping a sex-driven pop song like Oops, in hindsight (which is the point of this post), wasn't correct. Regardless of any other label issues or whatever, it wasn't the right record for her, creatively. Hit or not, it didn't establish the right identity. As I said, there were other options to make a hit record. And with Missy behind it, it would have gotten attention, regardless. So again, to say that we wouldn't know she was isn't true. At all.

Am I saying that she was supposed to be Jill Scott or something? No. Am I saying it was the ONLY reason her career stalled? No. But it wasn't the right song to start her career with, period.

At her core she wasn't ever going to be that type of artist. If she had been marketed more authentically, and still with Missy's co-sign, she may have had a better chance of having a fan base that would have been interested in her, even 3 years later.

But hey, I "get it". It was a hit record, and even Call Me got her Verizon commercial or something. That's all well and good as it "worked" for the time. But unfortunately it's left her now without a true loyal following, because even with those hits, most of her would-be fanbase don't have a clear sense of her true identity.