Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHopsin - No Words. Criticizes current rap. Do ya Agree or Disagree?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12908424&mesg_id=12908424
12908424, Hopsin - No Words. Criticizes current rap. Do ya Agree or Disagree?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Oct-07-15 04:30 PM
Hopsin - No Words
https://youtu.be/IiNNBc557OQ

Hot New Hip Hop – Hopsin continues to roll out new videos in support of his latest album Pound Syndrome. Last month, he dropped off the official video for his Dizzy Wright-featured cut “Fort Collins,” and now today he’s back with another one for “No Words.”

Serving as a skit, the brief 1:38-minute clip finds Hopsin, aka Hash Brown, mocking rappers in the game who be stuntin in their videos with things like Lambo’s, double cups, jewelry, and guns among other things. It’s a hysterical and on point video to say the least, check it out.

I admit this isn’t a great look for modern hip hop that a guy rapping actual gibberish could make a song that’s as good as 99% of the music you’d hear out on any given night with a music video covering every cliché imaginable. And I’m sure a lot of the hip hop fans who miss when the music meant a cultural movement with real significance will go “SEE THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT WE’RE SAYING.”

But hip hop becoming this vanilla and predictable as a part of society actually means we’ve come a long way in just a few decades. A couple of weeks ago I watched the documentary The Search for General Tso on Netflix and assumed it was only about the mysterious origins of the chicken that’s in every Chinese place across the land. But it was really about cultural assimilation in America and how the General Tso chicken we eat here is really the result of decades of Chinese people coming here, initially being ostracized from their new communities, and learning how to fit in with American culture. The original version of General Tso’s was brought over in the 1970s with flavors more like the region its creator was from in Hunan and was super spicy and not at all in line with the American pallet. So they added sugar to it, dumbed it down, made it more of a traditional American experience and it blew up to the point where now, a few decades later, you can find that watered down, sugary American version of it in any mall across the country.

That’s what hip hop is now. It’s not this amazing movement like it was originating in the South Bronx when people had a point to make about urban decay. It’s not even storytelling like Notorious BIG used to do. It’s autotuned guys in sunglasses yelling about owning things and/or being competent at packaging drugs. It’s pop music, same as a Taylor Swift or anything else you’d hear on Spotify’s top 100 list. A pale white kid in Idaho will listen to it just like a kid wearing jeans below his asshole will. But that’s what it means to be a part of America. It means you’ve made it.

Also shouldn’t a parody have some sort of actual parody in it? Like that car was sick and this chick is as hot as any other I’ve ever seen a guy pour champagne on while watching BET, it undercuts the message a bit is all I’m saying: