Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMy poor family members make emotional financial decisions
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12894141&mesg_id=12894196
12894196, My poor family members make emotional financial decisions
Posted by Mori, Thu Sep-10-15 11:10 AM
They will get really excited about an "investment opportunity" but have no facts, details, numbers, or projections. They throw their money because of a feeling or a slick sales pitch.

Poor people- it depends on why you are poor and how you define poverty. Most are stuck. It is just unlikely they will ever get out unless they have a drastic shift in their entire situation. Even then, they will still make uninformed financial decisions.

My wealthy family members are patient. Will live in the same house, drive the same car and chill until it is time to make a move.

My wealthy white friends have a network of family and support systems including systemic racism which helps them get promoted easier.

My wealthy non-white friends (Indians, Asians, Arabs, Africans) don't fuck around in jobs or majors that don't make money. Even if they do the arts, they are going for broke by being an editor in Los Angeles, a book publisher, own a dance company or start an art school.

My wealthy black friends are typically at the top of their fields- engineers, doctors, lawyers, investment bankers, COO's, or they started their own businesses.

There are many ways to make money. Most poor people I know are short sighted and go for only what was put before them.