Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectey im late to this wanted to chime in
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12860003&mesg_id=12862362
12862362, ey im late to this wanted to chime in
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Thu Jul-23-15 11:36 PM
just gotta think about why you want a gun

home defense?
self defense(conceal/open carry)?
hunting?
just for fun?

if its just for fun pretty much its whatever you want to spend

just remember pretty much bigger caliber the more expensive the ammo

there are ammo shortages all the time including 22 MAG so its smart to look into the ammo types youll be shooting just to learn about them(its kinda fun) and to know what you are getting into money wise

when you start talking defense its a whole different ball game but i want to tell you this

fuck "stopping power"

for your house

get a shot gun(semi auto is probably(debatable) best, pump is fun though =))
get you a handgun(preferably more than one) (for defense get the same caliber explanation below)
get a rifle (like an AR or AK)

in that order above^^^

shotgun is great, i have a 1973 remington 870 wingmaster

its amazing and my first gun i purchased myself

its a birdgun, so i took the 30" barrel and put a 18.5" LE and +2 LE mag extension.

original laminate stock was cracked so i put the LE Walnut furniture

http://i.imgur.com/HUIDWZ8.jpg

now here is where i messed up but not really because i love it

i have a friend that is way into guns(i have several cause texas) and they reload which is amazing. anyways they took me out and i shot several different calibers and several different guns.

Unfortunately one of the very first guns i shot was the glock 29 which is a sub compact 10mm. 10mm is a BEAST way over powered for any kind of real self defense unless its against bears or boar

10mm is commonly carried by hunters for self defense, it was origianlly the round created for FBI agents but was found to be too powerful with problems of over penatration so the .40 was created which is basically like half a 10mm anyways... i freaking loved this gun so he eventually sold it to me for a very reasonable price. it was already heavily customzed (barsto barrel, trigger work) and i put in some other things but its a glock

you buy a glock theres really nothing you need to do to it they are amazing and reliable. anyways ive since purchased two other hand guns and this brings me to my discussion about what type of caliber to carry or use in defensive situations

hand guns...

shoot waht you feel comfortable shooting quickly and accurately

forget stopping power

fuck stopping power if yall want to see some shit ill show you a video of a guy take 3 .40 cal rounds to the chest and run away.

all that really matters (380 and above really) is how fast you can put rounds accurately on target. so shoot what you are comfortable shooting from a recoil and accuracy standpoint

i am awaiting my CCL in the mail and i have purchased my first carry weapon (the glock 29 is just fine but like i said its way powerful) a S&W MP Shield 9mm and i love. i of course have upgraded it but its a sub compact and i love shooting it. I shoot it the best so i bought it. anyways ive rambled on ALOT sorry but if you have questions ask