Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: I tried very hard to read subversiveness into what she was doing.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12695590&mesg_id=12839889
12839889, RE: I tried very hard to read subversiveness into what she was doing.
Posted by howisya, Fri Jun-26-15 11:46 AM
race was always (and i assume will continue to be) a complicated issue on the show. on the one hand, you have to applaud her for having her own show and it lasting 3 seasons on fox. people like mindy are woefully underrepresented on u.s. network tv especially as lead characters. i don't think she ever really wanted a show "about" race. one of my initial beefs as i said upthread was that the show seemed whitewashed to me in its first season. for being set in NYC there were hardly other people of color. i think she took a lot of steps to correct that and address race more in the show. a lot of the subversion on the show did tie to racial and cultural differences, but a lot of it addressed other issues like body image, growing older, and relationships. i remember thinking back especially in the last dozen episodes that there was a lot of truth expressed that i just didn't hear much elsewhere. i really give her kudos for her writing and performance. since the character was written as an aloof ditz, overly obsessed with pop culture, and with a deep longing to be loved, the joke (written or at least overseen by the real mindy) was usually on her, but i really grew to appreciate how she wore her heart on her sleeve and stayed true to herself while allowing herself to mature. some of the subversion was reflected on her realizing when something is not right even if it's normal and standing up for herself. it's not always about being the loudest voice, and finger pointing/wagging is not always the most effective way to reach people.