Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: From what I've seen, largely Euro/NDN/Afro mixes.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12831943&mesg_id=12833713
12833713, RE: From what I've seen, largely Euro/NDN/Afro mixes.
Posted by eldealo, Thu Jun-18-15 09:54 AM
>There's a minority that has little to no Afro blood and a
>very small minority that is mostly Afro. But the overwhelming
>majority seem to be mainly Euro and NDN, with less Afro
>blood.
>

i remember having read a few books and articles about there being a concentrated effort on the part of spain and later the u.s. to lighten up the population of puerto rico a long time ago. they invited europeans to settle the island in order to keep p.r. from becoming another cuba. people were also able to purchase "white papers".

in my family (on my mother's side), the very light skinned, in the middle, or very dark skinned, have no problems acknowledging african ancestry. in my experience, most are proud of it, as they are the taino and european ancestry. some just don't give a shit either way. which i guess is why not many speak spanish anymore.

i've met puerto ricans, including the father of a former girlfriend, that hated being identified as "black". he didn't speak to me aside from hello for more than six months. it wasn't until his daughter told him that i had puerto rican ancestry that he began to speak to me. i didn't want him to know actually. but she told him after a blow-out. he wanted her to get back with an ex. she was like "you want me to get back with a guy that hit me", which he never knew for fear of what the dad would do.

i knew she had said something because he started talking to me out of the blue one day. after a while, i found out that he didn't really hate his own black skin (which was very dark), or black people. he just internalized a lot about being labeled once he got to new york from puerto rico, and later california. he saw the differences in how his african american friends were treated and went out of his way to make his origins clear. he said he never really felt it all that much in puerto rico. at least not on the level as in the united states.