Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHave you ever used opiates?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12825277&mesg_id=12825318
12825318, Have you ever used opiates?
Posted by denny, Mon Jun-08-15 04:21 PM
Percocets? Codeine? Oxy?

Not trying to be all Nancy Reagan....but I'm seeing that Kratom is basically an opium high with very similar withdrawal symptoms. In addition to there being very little studies done thus far.

I'll just say this....the reason why opium is called 'the seductive drug' is because at first.....you do it and there's absolutely no hangover or adverse side effects. The typical novice oxy/perc user is like 'Shit....I feel perfectly fine the day after doing it'. It's such a common mistake and it's basically a cliche at NA meetings when specifically talking about opiates. The danger is that you don't recognize the adverse effects until it's already too late. And trust me....opiate withdrawals are worse than anything else. The wiki page says that Kratom withdrawal symptoms are diarrhea, runny nose, body aches.....that's pretty specific and EXACTLY what opiate withdrawals are like.

The other thing.....there's no 'safe amount' to take. In fact, with opiates it's the consistency of use that is more dangerous than the volume. Meaning....someone who takes a whole lot of an opiate for one day is better off than someone who takes just a little bit spread out over two weeks. It's unique in that way. Opiate users are actually better off/safer doing higher volumes with less frequency.

My apologies if I sound preachy. When it comes to drugs...I can be hyper-sensitive about people making decisions on the amount of stigma/taboo or lack thereof. More clearly, sometimes we take stuff not knowing that it's just as dangerous as something else that we wouldn't take for lack of knowledge. That's why the oxy craze swept throught the States so quickly. There wasn't a stigma. People wouldn't have gotten into it if they knew it was basically equivalent to heroin use.