Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject[SPOILERS] You're just wrong here. Most big characters have survived.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12778969&mesg_id=12817352
12817352, [SPOILERS] You're just wrong here. Most big characters have survived.
Posted by TheAlbionist, Fri May-29-15 10:24 AM
SPOILER A-FUCKING-LERT

SERIOUSLY

I mean, it's fine not to like a show (though coming into a thread full of a show's fans and saying how boring you think it is seems rather attention seeking), but to dislike it for reasons that are pretty much untrue is, well... odd.

I'm only going to bother with people that can be considered "main" characters, but this is such a wrong-yet-common view, it bears disproving once in a while:

5 seasons:

Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Dany, Littlefinger, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Rickon, Loras, Varys, Bronn, Theon, Jorah, Jon, Samwell,

4 seasons:

Stannis, Melisandre, Davos, Margaery

3 seasons:

Shireen, Ramsay, Lady Olenna, Grey Worm, Missandei

The only truly "main" characters to die are Eddard (1 season), Joffrey (4), Tywin (4), Cat (3), Robb (3), Renly (2) arguably The Hound (4 and who may not be dead anyway) and Ygritte (2)... Viserys (1), Shae (3) Aemon (5), Oberyn (1), Lysa (4) and Barristan (5) all got big deaths, but were only really supporting acts compared to most of the people left alive.

There are a lot of deaths and several marquee deaths of big characters, but to say everyone dies too quickly to get to know them makes me think you've formed this opinion by reading a Vice article or that your eyes and ears don't work properly. Most main characters have survived the entire thing and are still heading up the major storylines... and of the "big" deaths, only one (two if you want to count Oberyn, I guess) didn't see out a full season.

Sure, it's not telly that you can just let wash over you. I've had to watch episodes twice just to catch all the subliminals within the dialogue. There's a lot going on, but to say they don't give you enough time to care about the characters and stories is just dumb in the extreme. Have you seen how long this thread is for a start?! This show creates more conversation than almost any other.