Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectalso, am i wrong in assuming most AAs
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12786941&mesg_id=12787328
12787328, also, am i wrong in assuming most AAs
Posted by teefiveten, Wed Apr-22-15 10:15 AM
or blacks in the diaspora have a good amount of lightskinneds in their family?

my dad's side is extremely light. reg and i joke that we're the 'darkies' of the family. all of my haitian friends have family members that run the gamut complexion wise and there isn't a problem. no one's being mean to non-family light skinned folks for their complexion because they look just like your family. i mean yeah there's color issues back home b/c the light ones are typically more wealthy but there isn't some idea that they aren't black, just higher class. there's also beauty issues there to unpack too so i don't want to act like things are perfect but that's in haiti, not here. it does happen here too but to compare isn't exactly apples to apples. it's going to be different.

i'm just thinking in the context of blacks of the diaspora who presumably have had more experience/exposure to the various tones of black skin

so all that aside not to say i don't believe her but it really doesn't seem like a pervasive issue. when i was in school no one ostracized light skinned people lol.