Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectLatina Magazine comments on new show Empire: where are the Latinos?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12749186&mesg_id=12749186
12749186, Latina Magazine comments on new show Empire: where are the Latinos?
Posted by BabySoulRebel, Thu Mar-12-15 10:11 AM
http://latina.com/entertainment/tv/things-empire-gets-wrong-hip-hop-industry

Slide #4 is currently a hot topic of discussion on another board I frequent:

"4. Where are the Latinos?

Though it’s an exciting, juicy, melodramatic show, Empire does the Latino community a huge disservice by positioning the entire hip-hop business as black and white — literally. In the pilot episode, when Lucious announces the upcoming IPO, he looks upon a conference room filled with black executives, with only two or three white businessmen in the group. The same is true of the A&R executives over which Anika (played by Grace Gealey) presides in the “False Imposition” episode. There are plenty of Latino publicists, managers, agents, lawyers, and executives within every record label, so why don't we see any on the show? Not a single one? C’mon now! To ignore the Latino community in a series centered on hip-hop music is to perpetuate the myth that, somehow, we weren’t involved in the birth and evolution of this genre, which is not only offensive, but also inaccurate."

I'll be honest
I've only caught one episode
but even as a light-skinned Latina, I don't understand this particular piece of criticism.
The show is about a family business run by a Black family. Empire is THEIR story to tell.

Also
another point that's been thrown around that I totally support
is that yes Latinos should be invited to join the cast
but AFRO-Latinos since they are rarely if ever represented in Latino mainstream media to begin with, much less American mainstream media.

All in all I feel Latina Magazine can have several seats on this topic. What say y'all?