Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHaving multiple kids in school is a job in and of itself...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12705546&mesg_id=12705695
12705695, Having multiple kids in school is a job in and of itself...
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Jan-22-15 01:00 PM
Separate from the logistics of getting them ready and to/from school, if one parent is able to stay at home it's a GREAT help in terms of being involved at the school. Going to PTA meetings, volunteering in the classroom, being in communication with the teachers and administration, etc.

I have a 6 year old in first grade and a 6 month old. When my wife was off work at home with the baby afterwards she was doing all of that for our first grader. She's back at work now and we feel completely out of the loop. It seems like all the other parents are ALWAYS up at the school, being involved, advocating for their kids, building relationships with the teachers, etc.

There is a DIRECT effect on how well your kids do at school if you are able to be involved vs. being at work all day and not knowing what is happening. On top of that now that we are both back working my son is going to before and after school care so he's at school way longer - from 7:30am to 6pm. Has to get homework in after that, very little time for extracurricular activities like sports or other social groups.

I haven't even mentioned any of the household stuff like cooking or cleaning. When she was home with the kids we were splitting that stuff up around 50/50. And I STILL felt guilty because I knew how hard she was working to take care of the kids.