Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectgravy recipe
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12675997&mesg_id=12694001
12694001, gravy recipe
Posted by deejboram, Fri Jan-09-15 08:23 AM
once you have used the majority of your chicken
try and remove some of the chunkier pieces by hand and put them in the bottom of that lil black container it comes it
so dont pick your chicken clean when eating your other meals or you'll only have chicken flavoring

it's really just a simple gravy recipe
1. melt some butter (i use bacon drippings) in a skillet
2. sautee some garlic and onions in it (chop these reallll fine so they almost melt in the gravy)

3. add a half tablespoon of flour to the pan and stir. should clump up like almost like play-doh

4. have you some damn near boiling water ready infused with chicken/beef boullion (i prefer to use stock and make my own with other rotisserie carcasses, bay leaf, carrot, garlic, onion, star anise). pour a lil in the pan and stir like crazy. never stop stirring.

i can't tell you how much water to use or flour to use. it all depends upon the consistency of the gravy you want. i took me YEARS to get this down. watching my mom and sisters churn batch after batch of PERFECT gravy out only to have mine taste like paste was disheartening. but i eventually got the hang of it.

5. reduce the gravy to a slow simmer and put the chicken carcass and pieces of chicken in it. keep laddling the gravy over the chicken and adding water/stock as necessary so the gravy dont get too thick and burn. also add your seasonings as this time: pinch salt, be VERY careful on how much salt you put in
pepper, dash cayenne...i put dang near everything in my cabinent in it. but that's cause pretty much all my spices go together except for the chinese five spice and nutmeg/cinnamon.

6. once you get gravy to the consistency/flavors that you like, laddle the mixture over your rice.

my pictures didnt come out good but boy oh boy them flavors was that good ol down home chicken n gravy taste that we all know and love

also, it took me longer to type this post than it does to make the gravy. it's really that quick