Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOrganix
Topic subjectPsychology Today - starting off on the right foot (excerpt)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=32&topic_id=1621&mesg_id=1853
1853, Psychology Today - starting off on the right foot (excerpt)
Posted by c71, Wed Jan-02-19 12:53 PM
I didn't completely trust this article, but it stayed with me (and as I suspected, I had to dig way back page by page in the Psychology Today website to locate it because I didn't save it when I first read it).

Anyway, the Creative Quest excerpt teaches the importance of deciding what you're not first and this excerpt is teaching starting off on the right foot by declaring how (easy/pleasant/etc.) something will be, so I think it's an important contrast to see.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-right-mindset/201809/the-surprising-habit-starts-you-the-right-foot

Bryan E. Robinson Ph.D.

The Right Mindset

The Surprising Habit That Starts You Off on the Right Foot
Doing this one thing can make your whole day.

Posted Sep 09, 2018

Here’s how it works. You give yourself to a certain performance as if it’s how you already feel. When you act "as if," the mood you pretend becomes a reality. It might sound too simple to be true, but science backs it up. Suppose you’re angry toward someone who offended you but you want to be forgiving. You can start to feel forgiving by acting as if you are forgiving. Perhaps you’re feeling envious of a friend’s good news but want to be happy for him or her. You can be happy by acting as if you are happy.

Twelve Step programs use this method to help recovering folks get through difficult emotional times. And author Tennessee Williams used it to jump start his writing mojo: “I believe the way to write a good play is to convince yourself it is easy to do then go ahead and do it with ease.” You, too, can apply this strategy to just about anything. If you’re having difficulty with something: Instead of fighting tooth and nail, try convincing yourself it’s easy, act as if it is easy, and see if you can tackle the difficulty with success.