Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectThe Ledoux scene is symbolic of their relationship
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=77800&mesg_id=78208
78208, The Ledoux scene is symbolic of their relationship
Posted by The Real, Tue Feb-25-14 06:25 AM
I don't know why I didn't connect the dots on this earlier. But after Hart offs Ledoux, Cohle says, "Glad to see you commit to something."

What did Hart say about Cohle to the investigating detectives? "You weren't getting a read on Cohle, he was getting a read on you."

Cohle was calling Hart out on all his commitment issues:

- Relationship
- Job
- Hart's commitment to Cohle

Even Hart's wife called him out when she said "he could have been much more." It's like Hart just settles because he's not committed enough and this aspect bugs the hell out of Cohle.

The second part of the Ledoux scene that is symbolic of their relationship is, after Hart offs Ledoux he ask Cohle, "What do you need me to do?"

This shows how much Cohle is committed to everything that Hart is not; and how Cohle is the brains of their partnership. Hart is only committed to the point that it helps Hart. It shows Hart's self-serving nature.

This, is why their relationship deteriorates. Cohle does all the heavy lifting and Hart gets all the credit. The confession from the lady that killed her children highlights this. Cohle does all the talking, gets the confession, and then tells hart to type it up.

Hart is pissed because it's a 40 page confession. He doesn't want to do THAT much work and Cohle calls him on this too. Cohle is just tired of all the BS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------