Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectRE: Since the seasons are 13 episodes long
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=77182&mesg_id=77230
77230, RE: Since the seasons are 13 episodes long
Posted by SankofaII, Sun Oct-06-13 03:32 AM
>This is the equivalent of picking up the back 9 of a 22
>episode season. I like the move and years ago I wondered why
>more broadcast networks weren't developing shows with shorter
>seasons. Viewers' watching habits have evolved and the
>preferences seem to trend to shorter seasons for shows.
>
>I understand the financial side of it for studios producing
>content, but to help promote higher ratings and audience
>retention, they should consider more short season shows.

true but in the case of Sleepy Hollow, fox is trying a shorter seasons format most most of their new dramas: Sleepy Hollow will run right into The Following, which should bow in January/February;

Almost Human is also 13 episodes.

FOX's two midseason shows: GANG RELATED and WAYWARD PINES are shorter seasons: GANG RELATED is probably no more than 16 eps and WAYWARD PINES is 10-13

I think this is a great idea period. Folk clearly aren't sticking around during the "season lull" of a 22 episode season, i.e. the filler eps, which can be a good 3-6 eps in the middle of a season.

13-18 eps total for a season: a network can play them uninterrupted or with less of a rerun window time during a holiday period than a show with 22 eps...

ABC is trying something like this to, or, breaking up the seasons: SCANDAL, GREY'S AND NASHVILLE are doing 11-12 eps now which should take them to Christmas; they come back in Feburary and show the remaining eps.

less of a lull because last year, the whole show shit until christmas, then don't come back until March or April was bs.

NBC is doing the same thing as well.

I think much can be learned from cable tv *AND* cable network who've been doing this for years (USA is the prime example, their 16 ep seasons are great. show 7-10 in the summer; show the rest in the fall or winter and back those back eps up with shows that are launching in the fall or winter.)

FOX is on the right track, and it's clear that ABC and NBC are following suit.

CBS, save for HOSTAGES only being 15 eps at most, ain't shit because theyre DETERMINED to stay with 22 ep seasons...smh