Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectthe significance of the BB THEME being played at the end of the ep
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=75300&mesg_id=75749
75749, the significance of the BB THEME being played at the end of the ep
Posted by araQual, Tue Sep-24-13 05:55 AM
i've never heard them play the BB opening theme during an episode before. it somehow made everything that much more epic, cos holy shit, its that fucking opening theme ive heard a million times before, but now its so much more badass. these mofos found a way to integrate something as short as the opening title theme into the show and have it make such an impact (on me, anyways).

to me it represented, as ppl have already said here, the Western element to it all. which makes Walt sort of the Marty McFly of the piece, constantly being called "chicken" by various Biffs, constantly meeting and overcoming a challenge but creating new problems, and always letting his ego get in the way. cept, ykno, not as adorable...with the murdering and whatnot.

i think it was a signifier of whats to come. i think post-Dennys/buying gun from boot of car, he's gonna pull off one last hail mary. Gretchen n them were the impetus he needed. dudes gonna just rot away into nothingness anyways, he might as well go out on his terms and try to reclaim his monies AND the Heisenberg name (which he has been promptly stripped of, his having no power over Saul was the first and most obvious indication that Heisenberg has left the building).

the whole "for my family" thing, which may've started off his true intention, truly fell by the wayside a long time ago, and is the reason Flynn goes off at him, cos it's all pretty much horseshit at this point (yes he was fully justified at cussing Walt out, cant BELIEVE sum of the shit i read in that GD thread). he didn't have to do ANY of the things he did "for his family". all he's ended up doing is completely obliterating not only his immediate family, but that of his sister-in-laws. leading to the death of his brother-in-law. turning Jesse into the walking dead making him go through more horrific shit than he would've as a regular junkie/low-level dealer. the man is a cancer on legs. he destroys, EVERYthing. i truly don't think there's any redemption left to seek for Walt. he's sunk to such a low that there is no ONE act to make anything right. he cant pass on the money he worked so hard to earn, he cant bring Hank and Gomie back from the dead. he cant undo all the harm thats befallen Jesse...but he CAN mount an offensive against the Nazis. he's not really justified in going after anyone else: he doesnt know Lydia's already made a move in regards to Skyler, he knows shes jumpy as hell but he hasnt even thought about her since he made the move to NH, the Grey Matter folks are in damage control trying to save their brand from its association with Walt, their redaction of Walt's involvement is less personal than it is political (even Walt would understand, despite that being the tipping point in reawakening some kinda vestiges of Heisenberg, but it's fuel to go deal with Todd and his peeps, not to off Gretchen and her hubby).

ykno one of the unexpected things i now have at the top of my "reasons why i hate that BB is ending" list? is freaking TODD. and Jesse Plemmons. this guy...is fucking fascinating as hell to watch. dude is damn-near unflappable. he could've easily become a main antagonist for a full season or two.

cant wait til the end.

V.