Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectis this the first real appearance of race?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=59315&mesg_id=59478
59478, is this the first real appearance of race?
Posted by sl_onIce, Mon Sep-20-10 04:46 AM
I mean we have had Carla and the elevator dudes ('life has its ups and downs'), Kinsey's travel down south, Malcolm X, and Medgar Evers, as well as certain derogatory remarks from various characters (Joan's 'I don't like what this neighbourhood has become' before they got robbed kinda rubbed that way).

but does this episode signal the beginning of a real engagement with race? it showed Peggy to be saying some nuanced things about women and blacks (whereas I think the show has operated on a kind of one-dimensional elitist hindsight so far, like 'look how backward they were back then. How great we are! we would have no qualms about selling to the negro market!').

so, I think that because finally one of the main characters is divided about it we might get a real engagement with it - will Peggy continue to cause this 'fuss'? Will her job be more important to her? (she is a woman after all, and she mentioned that she is worried that she'll hire someone and he will take her position)

otherwise, decent episode:

-could they make Betty into any more of a bitch?
-Roger: 'she died as she lived, surrounded by the people she answered phones for'