Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectI was more pulled in by the non-horror story
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=22842&mesg_id=22871
22871, I was more pulled in by the non-horror story
Posted by Taye DiggumSmacks, Thu Oct-06-11 09:31 AM
In mean, cliches were rampant through the entire show, but what kept me watching was the storyline and connection of the family. The dynamic between Dylan and Connie' s characters had enough intensity and drama to it, I was more concerned with how they'd work out their issues. Throw in the daughter's troubles at school (though that was kinda unbelievable), Dylan's troubled patient, and the weird neighbors, and I think you had the makings of a solid (albeit highly derivative) drama show. The personal/past demons they all have are the true horror, hence the generalizing "American Horror Story" title (I guess).

Some of the horror elements felt out of place and almost an afterthought. It reminded me of why I hate much of 2000s horror, with its style over substance tendencies. The quick-cut editing, disturbing images, the creepy kid, and kooky music soundtrack...

It was kinda fun though to peep elements they used from other movies though.

I think they should limit the scare tactics to just a couple and flesh THOSE out throughout the episode, rather than attempt to feed us the entire roster of scariness in the house, like they did last night. However, I am interested in whatever the connection between Jessica Lange and Frances Conroy is. They obviously go wayyyyyyy back.

Hopefully the scare elements are blended much better as the series progresses. There's potential here....Plus I got a little thing for Connie Britton.