Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectyes
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=188547&mesg_id=188670
188670, yes
Posted by Airbreed, Mon Aug-30-10 01:52 PM
>for me it's all
>been feeling rather monotonous, colorless, cloudy, depressing,
>awash in the least appealing aspects of indie rock (to me).

you're not alone. i think the roots have always done what they do to masterfully grow and push boundary lines further apart without compromising to what's popular on the radio or to the palatte of their fans. in some ways i think its good because they help their fan base move beyond the comfort zone they built with their adulation of the roots. personally i appreciate the changes they've made over the years but you're spot on about their recent music sounding dank and moody. and im kinda weary of it.

the indie rock angle is something else that's starting to trouble me only because they seem to have been gradually doing more of it over the past three albums--where as that street corner/boom-bap Hip Hop sound has been somewhat given a backseat, only to be allowed to ride upfront only when there's room to do so. to me, higo says fuck it -- we're gonna take it ALL THE WAY there.

higo is a good album cover to cover. but id hate for the roots to fall into a niche group. and that's not what ive known them to be over the years.