Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectEither the Roots should put out another live album ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=188484
188484, Either the Roots should put out another live album ...
Posted by el_rey, Wed Jul-28-10 11:25 AM
or release some soundboards from the recent tour. Their live set these days is damn near perfect, and imo outshines their studio work. Don't know what's been going on with therootslive.com, but it would be amazing to have another excellent quality show in circulation.
188488, RE: Either the Roots should put out another live album ...
Posted by makaveli, Thu Jul-29-10 11:27 AM
they did a show at an apple store in ny for itunes recently, those usually get released. supposedly it was short, but i would love for them to release it.
188493, I am waiting until they all die and we get the Game Theory tour on dvd
Posted by PungeePyPy, Fri Jul-30-10 09:52 AM
i dont see that being released any time soon lol

but yea roots need more live albums, agreed.
188500, best show I've ever been to
Posted by Dhernsol, Sun Aug-01-10 03:01 AM
Tower Theater 2007... so many epic moments... Masters of War, James Brown tribute (with the brass band), an acoustic version of You Got Me

I'd kill to have that on Blu-Ray
188494, man, I have stopped hoping.
Posted by tonywashington, Fri Jul-30-10 02:38 PM
188495, I Still Have A Small Hope
Posted by makaveli, Fri Jul-30-10 05:17 PM
the dude who went to the itunes show said the people from apple were saying it was going to be released in a couple weeks, let's hope its true. here's the post about it.

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=188424&mesg_id=188424&listing_type=search
188497, RE: I Still Have A Small Hope
Posted by porkchop526, Sat Jul-31-10 12:29 AM
That dude would be me, and I've been checking Itunes the past several weeks hoping to see the release because it would definitely be dope to own some of those live versions of new, old and remixed roots material! I know I didn't hear wrong because I was excited about it. I wish someone in the know could give us a date or update. This was the set list in order:

Dear God
Star
Stay Cool (remix)
Criminal (10 min+ Fela mix)
You Got Me (20 min+ w/ cover's and solo's)
Next Movement
How I Got Over

I know I have read old posts as to why The Roots should release more live stuff. I think its time to send requests to the Fallon show for the house band to share these recordings with the public! (Wishful thinking of course)
188504, Someone
Posted by makaveli, Mon Aug-02-10 11:11 AM
in the know, please let us know if this itunes show is going to be released. if there is no reason to hope, please let us know.
188505, RE: Either the Roots should put out another live album ...
Posted by aptpupil99, Mon Aug-02-10 11:48 AM
Just curious what people think of this thought...

Conceivably a new Roots live album would have to be heavily edited to get around paying for all the covers/interpolations the band uses in their current set. I'm sure some stuff would be easy to deal with because of music biz connex - band is tight with Kool G Rap, so "Men at Work" gets cleared easily. But what about something like Kirk's usual solo: Guns N Roses, Stevie, Outkast, "Bad to the Bone", etc.

Would you all want to see a new live album that wasn't representative of the live show because of the money involved in getting clearances?

No "Thought at Work" because of the Beatles interpolation... "Here I Come" has to clear Black Sabbath... Recent "Respond/React" with Knight Rider Theme...

To me, one of the coolest parts of the Roots show is seeing how one song transitions to the next, and while I'm dying to see a new Roots live album (or Blu-ray - I was 6th row center at Tower Theater 2007), I feel like it wouldn't be the same if it was all chopped up.
188511, RE: Either the Roots should put out another live album ...
Posted by el_rey, Tue Aug-03-10 06:49 AM
all of this is true.

Which is why it would be easier to just let a soundboard or two leak and not have an official release.

Still, to clear all of that would be amazing in order to do justice to the covers they do live.
188512, RE: Either the Roots should put out another live album ...
Posted by makaveli, Tue Aug-03-10 11:50 AM
true, but i would still like to have a live roots album even if its just roots songs.