Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectMore specifically...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=188466&mesg_id=188539
188539, More specifically...
Posted by bentagain, Sun Aug-08-10 08:25 AM
Since the main obstacle in the discussion is the label "conscious", I will refer to the individuals I am speaking of as "native tongues", since that is what they called themselves...

In the golden era of hip-hop, circa 1985-88, the majority of music in the market was quality. Toward the end of this era we have the emergence of more commercially viable acts with MC Hammer and NWA moving a lot of units. We also have the emergence of the native tongues. Elder statesmen the Jungle Brothers, ATCQ, and De La, developed a distinct sound and formed an alliance dubbed the native tongues. They developed a sound that was organic, immersed in the preservation of the pillars of hip-hop, and appearing to be unconcerned with commercial success. As their careers progressed into the 90's they helped mentor acts such as BlacStarr, Common, and even the Roots whom subsequently became affiliated. The native tongue family had its 2nd generation and it was in good hands. That was 15 years ago. As those same acts associated with the native tongue sound are progressing into the latter stages of their career, and some appear to becoming more concerned with themselves as commodities, there is a noticeable void in the 3rd generation of the native tongue sound. Regardless of your personal opinion of their music today, what acts are going to hold my interest in the hip-hop industry? The Roots, definitely. Mos Def, mos definitely. Kweli, hesitant. Common, no comment. Gucci Mane, hell no. It seems to me that Jay Electronica has been crowned prince of the 3rd generation. It may seem like an insurmountable task, but I'm praying on it...If heads want to make money, make your money, but my personal interest is vested in the native tongue sound. If there was definite 3rd generation, I wouldn't have to concern myself with decisions that Kweli or Common make, I would have acts to fill my hip-hop prescription and they can go act or collaborate with Gucci Mane. But there isn't, so the expectation may prevail amongst fans of the original native tongue sound for those acts which still remain to carry on the legacy.