Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectSell your image, never sell a record...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=188466&mesg_id=188534
188534, Sell your image, never sell a record...
Posted by bentagain, Sat Aug-07-10 05:25 PM
records come and go and get collected - KRS ONE

The point is, which you're still not getting due to the word "conscious", is that there is a group of emcees who perpetuated a style and image to be marketed to a distinct segment of hip-hop consumers. 20 years later, they are jeopardizing their marketability to the segment of consumers responsible for their success earlier in their career by making questionable decisions in the latter part of their careers in an attempt to stay relevant by marketing themselves to a different segment of consumers...

In other words, heads that were down for their grassroots efforts are questioning the recent artistic decisions for fear it is an attempt to go mainstream, referred to in the article as collaborations with mainstream rappers/pop-acts?

Now, with the recent breakup of Little Brother, whom ironically derived their name from the influence that the "conscious" rappers had on them, where are the hip-hop acts that are going to fill the void as rappers like Kweli and Common grow out of the "conscious" rapper label and attempt to make their music marketable to the mainstream. Wale? Kid Cudi? maybe Blu and Jay Electronica, but that remains to be seen...

Personally, I would like these artists to focus on making more mature music. A review of HIGO illustrated the idea of it being the first hip-hop album for fans 40 and over. As I myself approach that milestone, I find myself moving away from hip-hop as it doesn't challenge me anymore. I have started to indulge in other genres, but I still hold out hope, I still check for those "conscious" rappers, and for the most part, with the exceptions of the Ecstatic and HIGO, I have been greatly disappointed in the level of creativity.

This also applies to the Common post, Any questions...