Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectthe Roots @ Summerfest
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=188350
188350, the Roots @ Summerfest
Posted by PierreOrdinaire, Fri Jul-02-10 11:34 AM
Who went?

Thoughts?

Good show, IMO, but I felt like I saw the EXACT same show last year at this venue ...

The first half hour was fire, but that blaze died down over the course of the show: Same drum solo w/ 15 and Knuckles that I've heard numerous times, requisite "You Got Me" and cheesy '80s-rock pandering ....

Don't mean to sound bitter because it still was a good show, and I ain't mad for going AT ALL.

Oh, and I LMAO @ 'Riq's mistakes early in the night. He wore this "Yeah, I fucked up" smile through much of the early set. I thought it was hilarious. (We don't mind hearing a Thought verse two times, okayplayer.)

So yeah, Good show, but a lot of the same for me. (And those barely legal bitches in front of me were having a good time, though!)

Anyone go to the after party deal @ moct?

EDIT: Props to Thought @ how he kills it spitting other dudes verses ... makes for longer songs and better overall flow.
188354, RE: the Roots @ Summerfest
Posted by im white, Fri Jul-02-10 05:04 PM

First I just want to thank the Roots, Im from the mil and this was my 10th show, thank you for showin the midwest some yearly love. That being said it was not the strongest set I have seen.

At about 1 hour and 20-30 minutes long it was by far the shortest set I have seen to date. Highlights would be the Thought mess-up on web lol, the mellow my man segues, and also the overall energy. I would like to see some more older ish in the rotation...feel like i hear seed, next move, got me, etc at every show.

Also there was no encore, and seemingly no set closing current chart topping hip-hop mashup 101. Overall a very strange set, very short, and very predictable.

but thank you. i love yall 4 life

p.s. lot harder to get autographs after shows these days...been tryin to get my new years 05 shirt signed for 5 years now LOL

-michael