Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectHow did Wale NOT flop?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=186702
186702, How did Wale NOT flop?
Posted by JeffJohnsonII, Wed Nov-18-09 10:16 PM
First and foremost, I am a fan of the dude. Secondly, I am originally from Maryland and I really want that cat to blow because that would be a GREAT platform for the other DMV talent. Hell, I even helped mix the 'Rising Up' song he did with the Roots in December of 2007, so I am not hating on that dude but his album is an 'industry album' and is way too feature heavy. I could see if he kinda Food & Liquored his album and had like 2 major guests and a Neptunes track, but this dude tried to tap into the base of unloyal fans. How do you do tracks with Kweli, Mos and K'Naan and then do a 180 and do tracks with Gucci Mane? Bun B is beyond understandable because he is just flat out dope and his clout is eternal, but on the real...in house producers from the DMV coulda gave him way hotter beats and hooks than Cool & Dre and these other folks. Plus, he could've had more of a unique project. I actually heard the album about a week before it was released and made the purchase anyway last week. Like yo, son became an industry casualty 16 months before his album dropped and I knew there would be mixed reviews of it. It certainly isn't wack, but it ain't the truth either. I don't care how good an album is, you have to make a statement with it. He didn't rep, so nobody from my area stood behind it really. They are saying it undershipped, but it wasn't gonna move much more anyway. I don't think there's any scientific reason why his album won't do well. Interscope poured TONS of money into this dude early on and at the day's end, they knew shipping 100k wouldve still left 60k on the shelf. How much more can you 'work' an album if you have already been on Jimmy Fallon, opened up for Jay-Z on a tour, been all over the web, AND are an artist on Interscope? Saying Interscope generates interest from the break. That's why I'm certain we'll never get a Bishop Lamont album because after all of his hype 2 years ago, nobody gives a shit anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4J5NsG4aMk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iywn-aVN0Y

186793, Flop to me
Posted by alexofliveagl.com, Mon Nov-30-09 11:18 PM
186796, RE: How did Wale NOT flop?
Posted by KLAP215, Tue Dec-01-09 12:45 AM
>First and foremost, I am a fan of the dude. Secondly, I am
>originally from Maryland and I really want that cat to blow
>because that would be a GREAT platform for the other DMV
>talent. Hell, I even helped mix the 'Rising Up' song he did
>with the Roots in December of 2007, so I am not hating on that
>dude but his album is an 'industry album' and is way too
>feature heavy. I could see if he kinda Food & Liquored his
>album and had like 2 major guests and a Neptunes track, but
>this dude tried to tap into the base of unloyal fans. How do
>you do tracks with Kweli, Mos and K'Naan and then do a 180 and
>do tracks with Gucci Mane? Bun B is beyond understandable
>because he is just flat out dope and his clout is eternal, but
>on the real...in house producers from the DMV coulda gave him
>way hotter beats and hooks than Cool & Dre and these other
>folks. Plus, he could've had more of a unique project. I
>actually heard the album about a week before it was released
>and made the purchase anyway last week. Like yo, son became an
>industry casualty 16 months before his album dropped and I
>knew there would be mixed reviews of it. It certainly isn't
>wack, but it ain't the truth either. I don't care how good an
>album is, you have to make a statement with it. He didn't rep,
>so nobody from my area stood behind it really. They are saying
>it undershipped, but it wasn't gonna move much more anyway. I
>don't think there's any scientific reason why his album won't
>do well. Interscope poured TONS of money into this dude early
>on and at the day's end, they knew shipping 100k wouldve still
>left 60k on the shelf. How much more can you 'work' an album
>if you have already been on Jimmy Fallon, opened up for Jay-Z
>on a tour, been all over the web, AND are an artist on
>Interscope? Saying Interscope generates interest from the
>break. That's why I'm certain we'll never get a Bishop Lamont
>album because after all of his hype 2 years ago, nobody gives
>a shit anymore.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4J5NsG4aMk
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iywn-aVN0Y
>
>

Great Post! WALE sold out with his debut! With all them corny guests he lost his major fanbase that whoulda bought it! I can't belive Young Chirs wasn't on it!
186797, RE: How did Wale NOT flop?
Posted by bentagain, Tue Dec-01-09 04:37 AM
Feel the same. I was so hyped on Wale. I thought he could give these so-called MCs a run for their money, "good rappers ain't eatin they olsen twinning". But instead of challenging the mainstream he conformed to it. The flow and rhythm of his lines felt unique. Combine that with a go-go percussion type track, and he felt like an untapped sound. The promise shown on his mixtapes; mixtape about nothing, and back to the feature (which were both hotter than his album) had me checking regularly for his album. When it got pushed back, I kind of knew something was up because of all the media exposure he was getting aroung the time of the original release date. I think I listened to the album twice, mediocre at best.
186807, Im never gonna buy nothin from Maryland then
Posted by beeazy, Wed Dec-02-09 12:28 PM
just kiddin
186950, RE: Im never gonna buy nothin from Maryland then
Posted by RayneDrop, Tue Dec-22-09 04:31 PM
I was extremely disappointed in Wale's disc. Like said. The mixtapes were so dope, but the album was a real let down. I'm still a fan of dude. But come on...Someones gotta challenge the industry.
186955, u whylin
Posted by naame, Fri Dec-25-09 09:42 AM
only unnecessary guest feature was gucci mane.
j. cole ripped it,
chrisette michelle did her thing,
k'naan and wale killed the concept of tv on the radio

the album is very solid