Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectRE: The Roots 3rd Residency Show Review ft Jimmy Fallon
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=186562&mesg_id=186566
186566, RE: The Roots 3rd Residency Show Review ft Jimmy Fallon
Posted by aptpupil99, Mon Nov-02-09 09:11 AM
I didn't make it to the first show so I can't speak how good that one was. However, #3 had a much different setlist than the second one. (For the record, I thought the second show was much much better.)

Second show had a bunch of variations on the normal set: Web, I Can Understand It, Questo/Knuckles solo leading out of Thought at Work instead of mid-Mellow My Man, a few songs that don't usually make it into the shorter version of the setlist. Order of the songs was switched up a lot (Seed in the 2 hole, for example).

Third show was pretty much a standard show. Not a Fallon fan by any means, but he was funnier than I expected and the sight of BT dying laughing at the side of the stage was pretty great. Fallon and James Poyser came out to dance during Men at Work - funnier than anything during Fallon's set. That being said, the setlist was basically the short version of the set they've been playing for the past year (albeit with How I Got Over added). I have yet to see a bad show by the band, but the second show was so much better because of the variation. By the way, the 25-30 minute Mellow My Man/Criminal block consistently kills the crowd energy. Seems like half the crowd always tunes out when the drum solo starts and doesn't get back into the show until You Got Me kicks in. Split those two songs up!