Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectD'Angelo is a perfectionist
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=186486&mesg_id=186506
186506, D'Angelo is a perfectionist
Posted by Funkadelicer, Sun Oct-25-09 06:24 AM
It has been a very loooong time since Voodoo. I think D' is just not ready for his comeback at least in this year. I don't wanna worry about the album anymore. 2010 is the year (i hope).

I found some interesting things to read about the forthcoming album of D'Angelo

1. Russell Elevado (recording engineer & record producer) wrote on the 2nd April 2007:

"hello,

unfortunately, i can't go into too much detail about the new album. i can however, give you a little background:

we have been working on it (on and off) since 2002. and i don't have any idea when the exact release date is but hopefully this year, the latest 2008. but it has been in progress (slow as that may be). we were in the studio last november doing some o/d's and rough mixes on about 5 new songs that we could play for the label. but besides that, D has not worked on the album for about 2 years or so. we do have plans to head in the studio in may to finish mixes on some live material from the voodoo tour and that's all i can say about the live stuff for now...sorry

i turned him onto hendrix just before we started voodoo (hence the album title) and he just went crazy. it was like a revelation for him. he realized (for the first time) that a lot of his heroes were greatly influenced by hendrix, including prince, sly, george clinton...everyone! and i got him hooked on the beatles as well. so it's opened up a few doors for him.
it will be a different album than voodoo, that much is definite. to me it's leaning more in a rock direction. like funkadelic meets the beatles or something. he hasn't given up his soul roots by any means, but he is growing and exploring a new genre. he's writing quite a bit of music on guitar rather than the keyboard this time as well.

it will have a different sonic quality as well. we'll have to see how it will turn out as the vision has not revealed itself fully yet. his songs are varied and he's gone through much experimentation. my contributions wil be (more than ever) in the old school production techniques and style. but this time it will come from a slightly more rock prespective...slightly. and heavier."

2. Remember when ?love wrote this:

"Here's the deal: 11 songs are done. Most need lyrics. Most are in the 7-9 minute range. All are epic as ****. Most need a haircut. Shit I love. But shit I know the marketplace ain't even ready for. If "Untitled" video is what got him over on the idiot side of things, he is gonna have to get his physical game back and come with some strong ass imagining to make up for the fact that there will be no radio friendly single--newbies I'm warning you now, if you want to "understand" this record--you must purchase and study the following:

Funkadelic's Maggot Brain, America Eats Its Young, Cosmic Slop, Standing on the Verge of Getting It On, Let's Take it to the Stage, Tales of Kidd Funkadelic
Sly & The Family Stone's There's a Riot Going On
Miles Davis' On the Corner
Shuggie Otis' Inspiration Information
Brian Wilson's Smile
the Beatles' Abbey Road, Revolver, White Album
Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland, Band of Gypsys
the Sex Pistol's Nevermind the Bullocks Here's the Sex Pistols, Prince's Dirty Mind
Tony Williams' Ego and Emergency!

Study and absorb and research this shit now. Memorize it. Understand why the albums I mentioned were important in their historical context. Lower your expectations. This will throw you for a loop."

Well, have fun listening to those albums. :)