Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Show Review
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=185670&mesg_id=185741
185741, RE: Show Review
Posted by MapleHutt, Wed Aug-05-09 10:12 AM
>Bet you didn't expect for that someone who got the drumstick
>to be on okay based on the crowd at the concert haha...but i
>got that exact drumstick your talkin bout...i dove on the
>ground to get it haha...im framing it...the concert was nuts
>tho...one of the best individual performances ive seen...rock
>the bells still tops it cause of all the acts...but how can
>you not appreciate the roots for movin a crowd predominated by
>fans as you described - mostly there for ill scarlett and a
>mosh pit...after the concert one guy came up to me and tried
>to explain to me who the roots were...he said "you know jimmy
>falon? theyre his band on the late show...theyre a hip hop
>group from back in the day like wu-tang" haha...i just nodded
>politely and thanked him for the info...glad to know you were
>another appreciative hip-hop fan in the crowd...

Oh hey, I hope I didn't sound like I was insulting the crowd, I just felt like they weren't your average hip-hop crowd (seeing as the show was mostly rock, dub and ska bands). And trust me, I'm GLAD The Roots performed for that crowd. I like it when fans of other types of music can get introduced to hip-hop. Vice versa especially... I know too many closed-minded hip-hop music fans.

I definitely didn't expect to hear from the guy that got the drumstick that was like 3 inches from my foot, hahaha! I was the one wearing a box of Tang around his neck and wearing a green ?uesto Okayplayer shirt, if you were wondering. Congratulations on getting the stick.

For me, I've been to Rock The Bells NYC Day 2 in 2007, so I saw everybody on the bill EXCEPT The Roots (they were in Toronto minus ?uestlove for Rogers Picnic) & EPMD, meaning I saw Rage Against The Machine, Wu-Tang Clan, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill, Rakim, Black Star, & Pharoahe Monch. I went to Rock The Bells last year and this year in Mississauga and Toronto (respectively)... I've also seen Kanye in 2004 for his College Dropout tour @ The Docks, and it was great...

BUT STILL, to this date, the 2008 Roots show at Kool Haus in promotion of "Rising Down" was BY FAR the best hip-hop show I'd ever been to. The way The Roots had the sound set up, with usage of reverb and left-right channel mixing... it was just silly. I damn near cried at that performance man. They did their "Masters Of War" Bob Dylan cover and even though I'd heard the recording off of the Dylan tribute show... it was incredible to hear live. It will take a helluva lot to top that show for me.

>also dont know
>if ppl caught grand analog but i thought they also played a
>nice set on the bud stage

Yeah man, I'd heard some of Grand Analog's stuff while working at a community radio station in Scarborough, and I liked the material. Seeing them live was great! Definitely a great set. I liked the MC's charisma... very upbeat and positive. It was fitting that he had a Tribe "The Low End Theory" T-shirt on.

Edit: fixed a typo.