Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectMos Def at the Blue Note
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=182227
182227, Mos Def at the Blue Note
Posted by a kingswife, Thu Jan-29-09 01:43 PM
did any of you attend the Mos Def show at The Blue Note on 1/24 or any other night he was there? I did and wasn't really impressed. Huge fan of his but just thought the show was Ok, no more then that. The crowd was begging for Umi Says and Climb but he was firm about sticking to what they had on their set list. Also his band seemed to "perform" more then he did and when he did De La Soul's Stakes is High, it was good but would have rathered him do something of his own.
182250, RE: Mos Def at the Blue Note
Posted by drokphrend, Fri Jan-30-09 11:51 AM
i went to the first show...1/23 at 8...he did do 'umi says', 'boogieman' and stuck to the set list, but i spoke to glasper and apparently it was a different set list for each show...so i mean..if u went to them all u probably got a real nice glimpse of mos' catalogue, covers, features, etc...i was pretty pleased with it..i mean how can u expect mos to play along when he doesnt play an instrument...seemed like they did the best they could with what they had...if u dont know the musicians theyre all really dope and id rather see them soloing then hear mos scatting or whatever he might do to improv...the covers were real nice (radiohead's "all i need" especially) and he did songs off the new album too..i wonder what ur show was like
182261, i went to 3 of the shows and each was amazing
Posted by HighVoltage, Fri Jan-30-09 04:53 PM
if you're going this to show expecting to hear Mos do all of his own classics, then you should have went to the show at Highline 2 weeks ago instead. the shows with his band are special and each one is unique in its own right.
182270, RE: Mos Def at the Blue Note
Posted by Dupree90, Sat Jan-31-09 12:14 PM
Well I saw the show on 1/24, and I think the show was great. He did an Eric Dolphy cover ("Serene"), and a Tony Williams cover ("Fred" in which Mos said Forever Reaching Every Day is what Fred meant to him). And He told some one in the crowd that he ad the band was going to stick to a set list. Covered "All I Need" as well, and performed a song he wrote for his kids and "Perfect Timing" @ the keyboard (Mos plays several instruments.....(Dave Chapelle's Block party saw him playing the drums).He was even cool enough to take a pic with me, great show.
182498, RE: Mos Def at the Blue Note
Posted by TheloniousBlack, Tue Feb-10-09 02:29 PM
the show was great and I completely enjoy his set...

A lot of cats who buy records are straight broke
But my language universal they be recitin my quotes