Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectWTF happened to Bilal???
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=181612
181612, WTF happened to Bilal???
Posted by Unique1ne, Sun Dec-21-08 06:58 PM
Is he on drugs? It is damn near impossible to find him these days.... He isn't even on a chorus on Universal Mind Control. WTF!? seeing him on that holiday jammy pic on bossip really got me scratching my head. I just need another album and chicago concert. I know he has problems with alcohol and loves pot but I hope he ain't on that rock.
181621, RE: WTF happened to Bilal???
Posted by Coco la chapelle, Mon Dec-22-08 11:51 AM
I saw him twice this year, each time he came to talk, take pictures ect at the end of the show. I could be wrong but I don't think he's on drug (In any case he wasnt those nights)

He's going to sing at redcat (Houston) tonight with The Experiment, there're going to be some dates in NYC too

If you want to know where he's gonna play you better check his musician's myspace : Robert Glasper,Tone whitfield, Steve Mckie, he also plays with Pete Kuzma and Chris Dave (so check them too).

I don't know about the new album since he was (maybe he's still) on trial with is label. But I know for sure that he has been playing new songs lately.

181636, RE: WTF happened to Bilal???
Posted by C. Dilla Huxtable, Tue Dec-23-08 05:27 AM
He heard Common's songs during the recording process for UMC and said, "Fuck that shit!" After Electric Circus, he played the "sure shot card."
181639, ...im starting to think that okp "played out" article has some validity
Posted by Airbreed, Tue Dec-23-08 01:06 PM
with anymore posts like these.....
181674, Ha !!! Word.
Posted by Silky1, Wed Dec-24-08 06:12 PM
>with anymore posts like these.....

silk.
later

Heavy Rotation:
Dionne Farris-For Truth If Not Love/Milton Wright-Friends And Buddies/Womack & Womack-Radio M.U.S.C.Man/Sheila E.-Sheila E./Rene & Angela-Rene & Angela/Aurra-A Little Love/Sugarfoot-Sugar Kiss/The Spinners-New And Improved/Undisputed Truth
181644, RE: WTF happened to Bilal???
Posted by Patrik, Tue Dec-23-08 03:00 PM
I think its pretty disrespectful to assume it's drug related just because he doesn't have music out, if anything I just think his label situation is fucked up, hopefully he's working something out that's good for him.
181681, not on drugs, just not interested in making another album...
Posted by da_illest_one, Thu Dec-25-08 07:23 AM
I respect the man for touring though..
182181, You know what I mean??!!?
Posted by sher-mighty, Mon Jan-26-09 04:19 PM
181698, he's on Scarface's new album
Posted by DJR, Sat Dec-27-08 08:08 PM
181710, well i wouldn't jump to conclusions...
Posted by prophet j, Sun Dec-28-08 11:13 PM
there's plenty of artists that haven't released something in a long time. look at lauryn. in any case, he would have released "love for sale" in 2006 before it got shelved, and that wasn't that long ago.

it could be a million things. i'm sorry he isn't on UMC but i'm not gonna assume he's on the crack. how do you even know he has a booze problem?

- - - - -

jy
1974-2006

peace & love
181721, God damn
Posted by Patrik, Mon Dec-29-08 02:24 PM
Bilal is too good not to be out there releasing music, Questlove + James Poyser + Bilal = Thank you, please come (again)
181725, Dude a simple Google search would have answered....
Posted by queenisisdivine, Mon Dec-29-08 03:59 PM
your questions (minus the drug inquiries). You’d at the very least see his myspace page which list his tour schedule or tons of footage of his recent performances via youtube. There have even been posts in OkayArtist of interviews where Bilal says he is currently working on another album. *smh*

www.ihearthiphop.com
181814, He's playin'
Posted by Sef Diggy, Fri Jan-02-09 06:32 PM
with Robert Glasper and company...
I took this video in San Fran during the fall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S2ZAcDwHK4

www.myspace.com/barbershop09
182132, RE: WTF happened to Bilal???
Posted by youngoldsoul, Thu Jan-22-09 04:32 PM
I've seen him a couple times in 08 doing live venues, but I'm ready for some new music. Hope the next album wont be shelved because with Anthony Hamilton and Maxwell comin back, all we need is D'Angelo and Bilal back on the scene and Id be straight
182156, RE: WTF happened to Bilal???
Posted by livein76, Sun Jan-25-09 11:07 AM
he'll be in DC performing on Valentines Day..
182174, RE: WTF happened to Bilal???
Posted by patrickewing, Mon Jan-26-09 08:56 AM
hes at sob's thursday
182178, I was just about to post this...wish I was still in NYC
Posted by kelvinmercerlookalike, Mon Jan-26-09 01:58 PM
*CROCKA*

word booty.

www.smokingsection.net

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/?p=17370

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/?p=19001

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/chowyunskinny/Gold%20Chef/iron_chef.jpg
182243, RE: I was just about to post this...wish I was still in NYC
Posted by do the right thing, Fri Jan-30-09 01:14 AM
first time seeing Bilal in concert .. I must say I was very impressed .. dope show .. worth the $
182247, he shut down SOBs last night.
Posted by Aeon, Fri Jan-30-09 10:56 AM
like shut it "the fuck" down.

and the new shit he's working on is fucking crazy.

amazing. his shows of late are insane.

182275, how is he making any money????
Posted by da_illest_one, Sat Jan-31-09 08:40 PM
If he doesn't bring any merchandise(CDs, t-shirts,hats, etc.) to his shows and his cut as an artist of any venue is relatively small after everyone one else gets their share, how is he making any money??? He hasn't released any music for us to buy in almost eight years so whats the point of touring if he's not planning to release a new CD really soon???
182276, RE: how is he making any money????
Posted by do the right thing, Sun Feb-01-09 01:11 AM
@ sob's they were selling cd's and t shirts .. i got a cd for $10.
182278, RE: how is he making any money????
Posted by Coco la chapelle, Sun Feb-01-09 07:14 AM
Wich CD did he sell : love for sale or first born ?

I was wondering about the money thing too, I thought he had some money problem since he didn't bring backup singers and horn section when I saw him in europe last year.

I've heard one of his new song on a live recording, I thought he was good, I'd like to hear the studio version though (since it was only him and glasper on the live).

Anyway Im glad he's playing new songs, can't wait to listen to new material, some jazzy things would be nice ...