Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectK-os ever do shows in U.S.A?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=179013
179013, K-os ever do shows in U.S.A?
Posted by NotThinkSo, Sat Sep-20-08 12:21 PM
Also...Am I the only one feeling this guy?

I have Exit, Joyful Rebellion, and Atlantis and all three albums were fuckin dope IMO. I haven't heard freshness like this in years. I guess it helps that some of his influences were The Roots, Tribe called quest and The Fugees.

That song Black Ice from his recent album is ridiculous! And Born to Run might be some of his best work yet. I like that he can blend so many different styles of music in his albums, yet stay on point.

Soooo...when can I see a concert for this guy in Cali? anywhere besides Europe/Canada?
179015, RE: K-os ever do shows in U.S.A?
Posted by reznick, Sat Sep-20-08 12:29 PM
I hope to god you're not the only one feeling this guy.

K-os is one of my favorite artists. He spits amazing, beats are bomb, vocals on point. He's a jack of all trades who has a really good ear for music.

And I never hear of his coming to Chicago specifically. USA, I couldn't tell you, but I'm assuming if he never comes here, he probably doesn't come to the US often.

Still good to see another os fan.
179017, RE: K-os ever do shows in U.S.A?
Posted by NotThinkSo, Sat Sep-20-08 12:41 PM
I really hope it isn't some political reason of his for not doing shows out here. He's actually the artist I want to see in concert the most right now having seen just about everyone else I love in concert already.

"Money and fame could lead to emcee murder
You think you can escape but you can't take it any further
You call it writer's block
But you stop cause the vine is empty
Hip hop's not dead, it's really the mind of the emcee"

How can anyone on Okayplayer.com not feel this?
179018, he rarely does shows outside of Canada, but has toured in the US
Posted by HighVoltage, Sat Sep-20-08 02:01 PM
he opened for Gym Class Heroes along with P.O.S. and RX Bandits.

he was also on the Warped Tour last year.

Hopefully he does a U.S. tour once YES drops later this year.
179027, RE: he rarely does shows outside of Canada, but has toured in the US
Posted by NotThinkSo, Sun Sep-21-08 03:00 AM
thanks for the info, I never heard he opened up for Gym class. I will be on the lookout for the next release, where did you get that info from though? Just curious.
179030, RE: he rarely does shows outside of Canada, but has toured in the US
Posted by HighVoltage, Sun Sep-21-08 07:47 AM
>thanks for the info, I never heard he opened up for Gym
>class. I will be on the lookout for the next release, where
>did you get that info from though? Just curious.

I went to the show
179033, RE: he rarely does shows outside of Canada, but has toured in the US
Posted by reznick, Sun Sep-21-08 10:34 AM
I don't think it is political reasons, that K-os does not perform very much in the U.S.
By listening to him you can tell he's an outlandish guy. There could be numerous reasons why a man like that would rather stay home relaxed than do tours often. I could be wrong, but that my speculation
179035, RE: he rarely does shows outside of Canada, but has toured in the US
Posted by We Must, Sun Sep-21-08 11:35 AM
Man, I love K-os. He's one of my fav. Mc's right now.
His flows and style is uncomparable. I haven't seen a vid of him LIVE though.

HEAVEN ONLY KNOWS
<object width="400" height="255" id="uvp_fop" allowFullScreen="true"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=v2159048&eID=1301797&lang=us&enableFullScreen=0&shareEnable=1"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><embed height="255" width="400" id="uvp_fop" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://d.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="id=v2159048&eID=1301797&lang=us&ympsc=4195329&enableFullScreen=1&shareEnable=1" /></object>
179036, RE: he rarely does shows outside of Canada, but has toured in the US
Posted by We Must, Sun Sep-21-08 11:38 AM
Man, I love K-os. He's one of my fav. Mc's right now.
His flows and style is uncomparable. I haven't seen a vid of him LIVE though.

HEAVEN ONLY KNOWS
179077, He droppin another album?
Posted by Wafflefries4FREE, Mon Sep-22-08 08:54 PM
Whats the deal with that, any info yet?

Speaker 1: A Smile is the same in every language
Audience: Awwwwwwwww!
Me: You can't speak smile if you're BLIND!
179037, RE: K-os ever do shows in U.S.A?
Posted by randyp311, Sun Sep-21-08 06:43 PM
>Also...Am I the only one feeling this guy?
>
That's how I feel sometimes too. I put my friends who are real heads up on him and they are loving this guy right now. I can't wait for the new album and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a U.S. tour.

Here's a link to my favorite joint from him and it's live minus the crowd but oh well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_hiJc9fCgY

179044, RE: K-os ever do shows in U.S.A?
Posted by NotThinkSo, Sun Sep-21-08 11:05 PM
Holy FUCK! Thanks for that link. One of the comments on you tube said it best, "Just when I thought I couldn't like this song more".

See this just epitomizes exactly why I want to see this guy in concert.

I used to have this fun conversation with a close hip hop head buddy of mine about taking some of the greatest hip hop artists and forcing them to breed a super artist, and we once made some comment about what type of musical genius would be created if Lauryn Hill and Mos Def had a child.

I would imagine the result would have been something like K-os.
179046, RE: K-os ever do shows in U.S.A?
Posted by Gepetto Strombolli, Mon Sep-22-08 12:00 AM
If his show earlier this year is anything to go by, you're not missing out.

He was scheduled to appear at 8:30, he came out at 10:45, ran through his shit, dropped several 'freestyles' referencing Crocodile Dundee and Kylie Minogue (Australians love when rappers/celebrities flaunt their knowledge of 80s Australian popular culture), shouted out his homie in the crowd half a dozen times, then jumped off the stage at 11:45. The band came back out for an encore but he didn't - which I was actually thankful for, as it was a weeknight and it meant I could go home and sleep for work the following day.

I enjoy his music, but as a performer he was dismal.
179049, RE: K-os ever do shows in U.S.A?
Posted by NotThinkSo, Mon Sep-22-08 01:30 AM
>If his show earlier this year is anything to go by, you're
>not missing out.
>
>He was scheduled to appear at 8:30, he came out at 10:45, ran
>through his shit, dropped several 'freestyles' referencing
>Crocodile Dundee and Kylie Minogue (Australians love when
>rappers/celebrities flaunt their knowledge of 80s Australian
>popular culture), shouted out his homie in the crowd half a
>dozen times, then jumped off the stage at 11:45. The band came
>back out for an encore but he didn't - which I was actually
>thankful for, as it was a weeknight and it meant I could go
>home and sleep for work the following day.
>
>I enjoy his music, but as a performer he was dismal.

Apparently the Mighty Mos is another one of this guy's inspirations with respect to live performances at least. Not so much the performance, but with being scheduled to appear at like 8:30 and not showing up till about 10:45

Mos does this at like every show he headlines, and then when the crowd is pissed he comes on and says, "Those of you who know me know I never do a show before 10pm, if you see a flier saying Mos is showing up earlier than 10, they're fuckin lying to your ass!"

Fortunately, Mos always gives a stellar performance, at least my experience is that he does.
179078, RE: K-os ever do shows in U.S.A?
Posted by bdisciple, Mon Sep-22-08 09:24 PM
i def gotta get to one of his shows yea KOS is def one of the best out there too bad he's not recognized as much as he should be
179080, RE: K-os ever do shows in U.S.A?
Posted by countingdemons, Tue Sep-23-08 12:06 AM
i saw k-os a year or so back, up in toronto, and hands down incredible. totally sold me on all his music and stage presence. band was tight, he was on fire. I can't WAIT for the new one to drop