Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectHow do The Roots feel about the "co-headline"??
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=178968
178968, How do The Roots feel about the "co-headline"??
Posted by AK06, Fri Sep-19-08 04:34 AM
Being in the game for SOOOO long, having a pretty flawless catelogue, one of the best live acts in music period and now they have to share the prime time spot with some newbies.

Ive got nothing against Gym Class heroes, but they need to earn the headline.

Fuck it must be frustrating to put in that amount of work for that amount of, time receive internal industry respect and critical recognition but still feel shunned by the record purchasing public.

The Roots opening for Gym Class Heroes sounds like a joke to me. The Roots opened for the Beastie Boys and De La Soul (I think) way back when and now they have to share their stage with these folk.

Makes me a little sad....
178971, I Bet That Check Still Clears the Same...
Posted by HIM, Fri Sep-19-08 08:19 AM
In my opinion (disclaimer), I cant imagine that The Roots care first and foremost because, They Agreed to do it and they knew the deal going in.
Secondly, I dont see what the big deal is. They are OGz with this live hiphop thing...GCH is not a "threat to the thrown" LEGACYwise...

Third, they prob. didnt take a pay cut as a result of not being sole headliners.

178972, RE: I Bet That Check Still Clears the Same...
Posted by AK06, Fri Sep-19-08 08:30 AM
Yeah but its a respect thing.

I know they are not worried in the slightest about having their crown borrowed, and I know they are getting paid just the same.

But nobody who has been touring and playing and recording that long wants to be the 2nd class citizen. Especially to these hip pop up starts.

There is a big difference (for me anyway) between opening for badu and opening for these cats.
178975, If anything this hurts Gym Class Heroes
Posted by iamhiphop, Fri Sep-19-08 09:14 AM
with The Roots opening. They have to follow a great show.
178981, RE: If anything this hurts Gym Class Heroes
Posted by mr merrick blvd, Fri Sep-19-08 12:37 PM
its all about the dollars, im sure the roots are getting paid accordingly to play ball and co headline.

a part of me hopes they dont headline nyc so i can see them and estelle and leave before GCH comes on
178985, i never like headlining.
Posted by qoolquest, Fri Sep-19-08 02:49 PM
NEVER.

(re listen to 100% Dundee to understand my steeze)
178995, Yeah
Posted by makaveli, Fri Sep-19-08 05:09 PM
cee-lo might feel the same after the picnic.
179003, RE: i never like headlining.
Posted by dropdabeat20, Fri Sep-19-08 09:52 PM
but for ur fans if ur always opening for some1 else its like they always get a fairly similar 45 min-1hr set every time. ive always heard of legendary 2-3 hour sets the roots play and ive seen u twice and i basically got the same hour set. i saw u at ucla and then open i saw u open for erykah. now u coming back to play the paliadium and im not going bcuz a) i spent most of money to get the ticket to see jay re-open the place b) i figured it'd be the same set since ur co-headlining
179048, But you're CO-headling, right?
Posted by seandammit, Mon Sep-22-08 12:31 AM
Meaning, we're getting a full set? Or it another one of them 45 minute deals?
178993, GCH gonna be sayin'...
Posted by infms, Fri Sep-19-08 03:50 PM
...Ain't no way we can rock after them
179074, I see that happening immediately after the first show ^^^^
Posted by Boutbidnis, Mon Sep-22-08 06:03 PM
>...Ain't no way we can rock after them....LOL!...poor kids don't know what their tour managers have gotten them into. i bet this experience will make them that much better next time around tho.
179124, Not adding anything to the original post but....
Posted by Oak27, Wed Sep-24-08 02:11 PM
I havent received my tix yet that I ordered from OKP presale... any idea who I can tlak to about that, on the contact page it doesnt offer link to who to get at about tickets
179182, RE: Not adding anything to the original post but....
Posted by pjrocks7, Fri Sep-26-08 01:36 PM
I kind off look at it as promoting. It's not that they're not good enough, it's more like the roots are supporting Gym Class Heroes
179210, But why?
Posted by AK06, Sun Sep-28-08 08:32 AM
Why not support something really dope like they have done their whole career.

see: Jill, Eyrkah, Rahzel, Beanie Siegel, Peedi, Dice, Maimouna Youssef the list goes on...

Why not take someone who plays better more relevant music with you on tour and help fill this gap in great music...
179244, they've toured with all those artists
Posted by justin_scott, Mon Sep-29-08 06:26 PM
>see: Jill, Eyrkah, Rahzel, Beanie Siegel, Peedi, Dice,
>Maimouna Youssef the list goes on...
>
>Why not take someone who plays better more relevant music with
>you on tour and help fill this gap in great music...

maybe they wanna tour with someone new.

maybe they like gym class

maybe they wanna get heard by a different, younger audience

maybe it's financially beneficial

etc

etc
179261, closing back to back shows...
Posted by Pkjr703, Tue Sep-30-08 11:55 AM
looks like the roots are closing the show in bmore, as well as the show in va (norfolk)...
179263, RE: closing back to back shows...
Posted by ockotaco, Tue Sep-30-08 12:33 PM
what makes you think they are closing out the bmore show? If their alternating each night then gch would be closing the show.
179267, RE: closing back to back shows...
Posted by Pkjr703, Tue Sep-30-08 02:00 PM
the way the club states the acts.

bmore, md

The Roots and Gym Class Heroes
w. special guest Estelle
Friday, October 3

norfolk, va

Gym Class Heroes and The Roots
Estelle

(although i just got a email saying the roots are closing this show)

179270, RE: closing back to back shows...
Posted by chicity, Tue Sep-30-08 03:27 PM
i feel that as long as i can see a full roots set... im satisfied... im not a fan of GCH but i have nothin against them... just dont fuck w/ roots set... and 15 why is it that you dont like headlining?
179274, RE: closing back to back shows...
Posted by ockotaco, Tue Sep-30-08 04:20 PM
I'm really lookin forward to the show on friday. As long as we get a full roots set with the classics, i'm sure ill be more than satisfied.
179312, i just did a toyota jump for this....
Posted by bleekgilliam_420, Wed Oct-01-08 10:58 PM

>norfolk, va
>
>Gym Class Heroes and The Roots
>Estelle
>
>(although i just got a email saying the roots are closing this
>show)