Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectim addressing a newbie. a first for time.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=178538&mesg_id=178619
178619, im addressing a newbie. a first for time.
Posted by qoolquest, Wed Sep-03-08 02:04 PM
>
>HERE WE GO....the reason no one does well on the east coast is
>that they have the absolute worst production on thier
>LPS...

that could be a factor.

down south and west coast (back when g funk was a sound and a lifestyle) actually reflected their lifestyle. and of course once the east coast opened that door (big's jawn with bone thugs is a historical ) then it reeked of bandwagoning. not to mention the cost of clearing the samples is RIDIC!!!!

so pretty much the "identity" of a coast (boom bap) has been abandoned.

the closest that cats get to it is the translation of the east coast sound via the ruff ryder 98-2002 period. shit like "money power respect" and "24 hours to live"--2 songs that are boom bapish....but hardly Illmatic material imo. so liking the production approximation of that type of "Street" sound is sorta like the lesser of two evil candidates in an election.

not your choice (does it rank with "electric relaxations"?) but it'll do (thank god it aint laffy taffy)

even Skillz new album minus on or two beats was
>trash....People wont pay for dope production
>period...PRIMO..PETE ROCK...ALC....all readily
>available.....

but in the age of indie labels and myspace pages....a $5000 budget is like a HARD thing to accomplish. i mean i gave him "Hold Tight:" on the love. mainly because im not gonna starve. but meanwhile cats that need to make a living (the aforementioned dreamteam)can't live off of "for the love"

so again a classic "east coast" group on a major is a non issue.---even from that time period only kweli, nas, common, and the wu are still on majors. (us too)

instead these dumb mfrs get myspace clowns and
>their boys 2 produce shit...and it is horrible...aint that the
>reason why GHOST only puts out semi quality shit and the rest
>of the WU including RZA are irrelevent...........

how you gonna clown a newjack for getting put on (granted 30 myspace producers are gonna produce MAYBE a 9th wonder in that pile) and you aint got a track record left. lol. it aint like imma look at you like "well this cat made "come clean"".....imma lump you right in with those "myspace internet" producers trying to get put on. granted. we need to be more scrutinizing with the choices of music use. but in a dying artform....beggers cant be choosers.

>Im headin 2 the club and i will post more on this but let me
>say one thing...the rolling stones, springsteen, aerosmith
>didnt have to put anyone on...so why does HOV.....

cause the hip hop game is part "art" and part "harriet tubbmaning"---so im certain those cats have no "boys" that wanna get put on. and for the record. mick jaggar was VERY instrumental for giving Living Color a shot and a deal.