Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectcongrats to common....forbes says he made 12 million this year (link)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=178112
178112, congrats to common....forbes says he made 12 million this year (link)
Posted by spirit, Tue Aug-19-08 11:07 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2008/08/15/music-media-hiphop-biz-media-cz_zog_0818cashkings_slide_15.html?thisSpeed=20000

that SAG card is paying off like a mufucka. get em, Com...

he actually tied with akon and made more than jermaine dupri....who says nice guys finish last?
___

myspace.com/spiritequality

lonegunmanmedia.blogpsot.com - my comic book, the liberators, is available now at big monkey comics (no, seriously), crooked beat records, brian mackenzie infoshop, etc. join the movement!
178136, wonder if cream from Terminator is included...
Posted by jackson, Wed Aug-20-08 04:20 PM
as it made com cancel his show, because of shooting for the movie... but instead of him we got our first Kweli show in Poland, so it wasn't that bad :D
178145, RE: Yeah that was good to read
Posted by EAS, Wed Aug-20-08 10:10 PM
I'm happy for Common as well. It's good to see a "conscious" rapper stack that paper. This movie thing seems to be taking off for Common. His career is more diverse and that's great seeing how he struggled in the beginning. Dude has been in this game since the early 90's and is keeping himself relevant in today's market. It's great to see and hopefully it continues.
178146, can i borrow a dollar?
Posted by msbadu2003, Wed Aug-20-08 11:03 PM
>http://www.forbes.com/2008/08/15/music-media-hiphop-biz-media-cz_zog_0818cashkings_slide_15.html?thisSpeed=20000
>
>that SAG card is paying off like a mufucka. get em, Com...
>
>he actually tied with akon and made more than jermaine
>dupri....who says nice guys finish last?
>___
>
>myspace.com/spiritequality
>
>lonegunmanmedia.blogpsot.com - my comic book, the liberators,
>is available now at big monkey comics (no, seriously), crooked
>beat records, brian mackenzie infoshop, etc. join the
>movement!
178151, one day it will all make cents...
Posted by MusicSnob, Thu Aug-21-08 01:34 AM
nevermind...
178152, Good for Common.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Aug-21-08 01:42 AM
He'll probably go the Ice Cube/Mos Def route and do music part time (why wouldn't he? the money is way better in movies)...but I can't be mad.
178153, great for common, but that article is bullshit
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Aug-21-08 02:01 AM
Formerly known as Common Sense, the Chicago native is one of hip-hop's most socially conscious artists. An avid supporter of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and HIV/AIDS awareness campaigns, Common has also spoken out against the use of homophobic rap lyrics. Though he released his debut album in 1992, he gained mainstream fame only with last year's release of Finding Forever, which was certified gold and nominated for three Grammys. His substantial acting experience includes roles in Smokin' Aces (2007) and Wanted (2008).

"Common has also spoken out against the use of homophobic rap lyrics."

yeah, his own.

"he gained mainstream fame only with last year's release of Finding Forever,"

BE

"His substantial acting experience includes roles in Smokin' Aces (2007) and Wanted (2008).:

LOL. i have no problem with common's acting, but there is nothing substantial about his acting experience. at least not yet....
178157, good points
Posted by Eddy, Thu Aug-21-08 05:18 AM
178181, I think they meant substantial movies...
Posted by Brew, Thu Aug-21-08 06:55 PM
that he's been in, but Iunno

>LOL. i have no problem with common's acting, but there is
>nothing substantial about his acting experience. at least not
>yet....
178209, he hasn't been in one yet
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Aug-22-08 04:29 PM
terminator isn't out yet. wanted wasn't substantial, even if angelina jolie was in it.+ most of the little articles about the artists are filled with bad journalism.
178255, Yes and no
Posted by Brew, Sun Aug-24-08 03:35 PM
didn't they do well in the theaters?
178258, wanted did ok, but it wasn't substantial
Posted by justin_scott, Sun Aug-24-08 05:21 PM
it's like using classic for everything that comes out. substantial is like iron man, dark knight, etc. IMO, terminator is common's first substantial movie.
178260, I agree
Posted by Brew, Sun Aug-24-08 08:15 PM
178176, d'oh, somebody beat me to it
Posted by soulsike, Thu Aug-21-08 05:35 PM
obvious joke edit...
178182, Good for Comm and his daughter
Posted by Brew, Thu Aug-21-08 06:56 PM
must be nice to be able to support your daughter with some substantial scoots after strugglin for so long.

I still wish he kept that hunger on the mic, tho...