Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkayplayer News Discussion
Topic subjectAn Open Letter To Mos Def
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=177095
177095, An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by aisha, Thu Jul-24-08 03:20 PM
This has to be said. Yes, you are a musical mastermind, we know this. And yeah we know that you're not the average run-of-the-mill hip hop artist either. What we don't know is this: what's up with these performances?! I saw you at SpitKickers, I know what you can do live. But for some reason the last 3-4 times I've seen you on stage I've just been left...scratching my head.

Don't the blank stares bother you? That would probably haunt my dreams. You've had to notice, so are you trying to send us the message that connecting with the crowd is not a priority? So what is your goal? Do you want to experiment/try out new material? Because without that connection it comes off as if you don't care. And we refuse to believe that because we still care, a lot, actually! This is like a relationship where you have all the "hand" and you know it. You treat us however, leave us wanting more, and then when we beg for an encore (because you know we will) we get a quick "Umi Says" and you're gone just as fast as you came. Your set comes off as chaotic and convoluted and my thing is that if you have not one single bad album, how can you have (multiple) bad performances!?

I'm not saying that us die hard fans aren't interested in hearing/seeing the more experimental or new material, I just don't think Rock the Bells is an ideal setting. At a giant festival give us the bangers and the classics, it's only right!

I remember when I first got True Magic I recognized some of the songs from a live performance I'd just seen but I also remember being confused as hell at that performance! I (subsequently) love True Magic so I feel the audience can really appreciate a new song during a 5-6 song set, but any more than that and we're going to get antsy.

That's my piece. A new approach would be appreciated but in the end you're Mos Def and we're your loyal fans so do what you want
177101, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by davepstein, Thu Jul-24-08 03:51 PM
Correction. He has two bad albums (True Magic, New Danger).

But that letter is well-written and heartfelt. It would be interesting if you got a response.

David - http://playcrayon.blogspot.com
177104, love them both.
Posted by aisha, Thu Jul-24-08 04:09 PM
I'm a big fan although there is some of his music I don't like
177116, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by CommonSense21, Thu Jul-24-08 10:27 PM
>Correction. He has two bad albums (True Magic, New Danger).
>
>But that letter is well-written and heartfelt. It would be
>interesting if you got a response.
>
>David - http://playcrayon.blogspot.com

Are you joking? New Danger was a great album. Just because it had a different sound its bad? That album had about 10 really solid tracks and the only song I personally didn't care for was Zimzallabim. That was a really solid effort by Mos.
177134, True Magic
Posted by Pkjr703, Fri Jul-25-08 11:13 AM
was dope (imo)
177136, RE: True Magic
Posted by josephmurf2384, Fri Jul-25-08 11:40 AM
^^ TRUE STATEMENT ^^^^

New Danger was sick as well in my opinion at least 7 true bangers on that album. He does come across well at Rock the Bells, no one does in my opinion sound is jacked people late, they put Doom on the bill every year and he usually doesn't show. Mos shines by himself though saw him in richmond last year, and i can't wait for the Kennedy center shit, that will be sick nasty.
177138, Correction
Posted by josephmurf2384, Fri Jul-25-08 12:32 PM
does not come across well is what i meant
177147, uh...
Posted by Airbreed, Fri Jul-25-08 04:33 PM
>was dope (imo)

that's a STRONG matter of opinion my nig.

and i'd hardly call it dope.
177208, RE: I loved New Danger
Posted by ya Setshego, Mon Jul-28-08 07:36 AM
And he was great yesterday @ Rock the Bells. Came out in a cape & everything. Fitting, being that he's Mighty Mos an' all. Give the
Brothah some breathing room 4 Pete's Sake. As far as I'M concerned, he's picking up where Chuck Berry left off. And building on the work of Living Color. If y'all are giving him blank stares in the front, y'all a**es don't need 2 b UP in the front. Put me up there. I get where he's going artistically, and would have NO problems showing appreciation 4 it.
177926, New danger was dope, true magic was 70% worthless shitty shit.
Posted by I am Nhate N8Backwards, Fri Aug-15-08 04:11 AM
Give New Danger another listen... problem is it's like a body of work combined from three totally different sounding albums...

myspace.com/N8backwards

177106, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by chicity, Thu Jul-24-08 05:04 PM
I agree to certain extent. i do feel that at Rock The Bells a more "banger" is suitable for the audience but especially the time slot. I was at the chicago RTB and i mean the set was great, simply b/c mos is a genius and one of my fav musicians ever. but at rtb i need to hear definition, do it now, math, sunshine, beef, those classics!!

i feel mos's strength in shows comes like the show at carnigie hall w/ gill. even thought i was not there, all i heard was rave remarks on the appeal of the show. that is where i feel mos excels! this guy cannot have a timeslot, mos is a dynamic unique artist that flurish's in a liberation of interaction with the music.

now i am simply a fan, just throwing my 2 sense in and no i do not know what mos should do, and mos u do whatever u feel like at RTB...

Cant wait for the new album!!

peace
177156, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by ToddThaGod, Fri Jul-25-08 09:24 PM
new danger was a good album...but true magic was like if mos ate a quarter of mushrooms and was just liek fuck it
177165, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by SFRISMORETHANANAME, Sat Jul-26-08 04:58 AM
I saw Mos last year in NY during the Rock the Bells festival. Lets just say that he did not live up to what he is truly capable of. Sadly enough, I truly feel that b/c of his success in film, as well as the fact that he knows folks are gonna cop his album regardless of quality, his check is in the bank for the show already, and people will keep on coming to see him in hopes that maybe the Mos that goes out of his way to rock the party MIGHT show up, he will continue to do this. It was amazing how much of a better show Kweli put on, and how everyone was psyched about them regrouping on stage, yet how piss poor of a show he put on himself. We ain't pay good money to see you attempt to sing and refuse to perform joints that "THE PEOPLE LIKE"! That is why your able to perform, did you forget that!?
177166, it's a festival
Posted by nicknice, Sat Jul-26-08 09:04 AM
he has a time slot, and frankly any mos def show I've been to has run over the scheduled time...Check out the rock the bells dvd and see how chaotic and confusing the backstage area is, and then maybe you'll decide you shouldn't be so selfish. On top of all this you actually come off as someone who does give a shit, and may know a little bit about good music. So why would you frown upon someone hailed as a musical genius experimenting in front of a live audience. Maybe he learned his lesson on his "bad album" and now likes to try out the material before pressing it up? I personally think these kind of shows are dope, who's gonna remember the 30 times they heard umi says at a mos show? not me, I'd rather go and get a chance to see the "hendrix doing the national anthem" type mos def where you'll be blown away by something you never expected... Maybe the crowd was wack, a show like rock the bells, depending on who's billed will bring all sorts of heads which is another reason he may have tried out some new ish...
but seriously, try and see him again, see if it's billed as mos w/ dj or mos w/ band or whatever. When you see and hear my man rock some BBD poison and the whole joint freaks the fuck out...
tell me he's wack, i dare you.
177182, he doesn't care
Posted by aisha, Sun Jul-27-08 01:00 AM
and I'm not breaking my neck to go see him anymore when I know damn well he's gon pull this ish

I love live music but I haven't been going to concerts for like the last 4 years what with college and bills and whatnot so this has been going on for a long ass time now
177361, stay home...
Posted by nicknice, Thu Jul-31-08 11:25 AM
WE DON'T WANT YOU THERE.
177168, I agree
Posted by Troubled Spirits, Sat Jul-26-08 10:27 AM
I dealt with this crap at two Rock The Bells performances last year, and I'm sure he'll have the same problem when I see him next week at Rock The Bells.

He doesn't even do songs half the time. Much of his set is like "Mos Def's iTunes playlist."

He's just leaving people confused, and bored ("hey, let's go get a beer before Nas comes on.")

Mos can do new songs, sure. But if he's not doing "Umi Says," "Ms. Fat Booty," "Definition," at these shows, he's not going to win the crowd over AT ALL.

(of course, this only applies to Mos Def shows without a band.)
177190, he's going to do what he wants
Posted by L.E.S., Sun Jul-27-08 11:04 AM
Mos always has and always will do the work that he wants to do when he wants to do it,
whether you like it or not. if you're a fan you should be open and give him liberty to express himself in whatever form he chooses. he's going to anyway.
177191, i have heard this alot but
Posted by lovelyone80, Sun Jul-27-08 11:28 AM
I have never seen this happen at a DC/MD show ever. his sets have always been dope, off the hook...really good. it sucks that some people get a little and some get a lot but I do know that in DC/MD his show was a lot different than the one I saw him do in NY. but they both were still better than what you have described.
177205, "and you're gone just as fast as you came" = aisha is horny!
Posted by Yadgyu, Mon Jul-28-08 12:01 AM
177244, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by 06RSXTypeS, Mon Jul-28-08 09:32 PM
True Magic, while still better than 70% of hip-hop out there, was weak for Mos. As of right now Black on Both Sides is his best album. Hopefully he'll stop singing so much and get back to being an ill-ass emcee and spit some more fire like he did with "Close Edge"

Can't wait for The Ecstatic to drop
177245, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by 06RSXTypeS, Mon Jul-28-08 09:35 PM
ps. I can't wait to hear "History" which features Kweli and is produced by Dilla.

anyone know where I can download or listen to it??
177246, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by alisha-world, Mon Jul-28-08 09:36 PM
LOL... I saw mos def, not that much but like 3 times maybe... And it was all good, and always better... One time in paris, where i come from. And two times here... With Carnegie hall.. It was one of my best show ever... The musicians, him... The dilla's tribute... Him speaking... Tribute to jay eletronica... doin de la soul's song..
HE is great when he experiments new stuff... U can't wait from an artist to always do the same when he does some new stuff and experiments... And say to one who does always the same since 10 years that he is boring and has to change...

Mos def is great on stage i think.. Better with a band for sure... Look like now he needs this band with him to shine.
177278, who the fuck are you to call out mos def?
Posted by msclman99, Tue Jul-29-08 06:51 PM
n/m!

and mos KILLED it at rock the bells in sf last year. I haven't seen him since.
177310, RE: who the fuck are you to call out mos def?
Posted by josephmurf2384, Wed Jul-30-08 10:46 AM
He was pretty week at rock the bells SF last year. His worst show i have seen, but he translates a hell of a lot better with a live band or Pharoahe Monch so i may have been spoiled the other times i have seen him.
177345, I'm that nigga
Posted by aisha, Thu Jul-31-08 01:01 AM
that said the shit!

It's not like no one agrees with me. I'm just the one that wanted to know bad enough to speak the fuck up and ask.

All in all I'm just another fan. Who the fuck are you to say what I can and cannot comment on?
177346, WINNER:
Posted by , Thu Jul-31-08 01:40 AM

>All in all I'm just another fan. Who the fuck are you to say
>what I can and cannot comment on?
177415, ^loser...
Posted by nicknice, Sat Aug-02-08 01:30 PM
177647, we're just trying to be like you
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Aug-09-08 07:06 PM
but we can't keep up
177650, LOOOOL
Posted by , Sat Aug-09-08 09:33 PM
177771, http://tinyurl.com/5ecn6a
Posted by nicknice, Wed Aug-13-08 12:20 AM
177909, oh shit, not a treadmill! what a comeback!!!!!!!!
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Aug-14-08 09:32 PM
please come better than that youngster
177920, aight stan
Posted by nicknice, Fri Aug-15-08 01:03 AM
177921, aight bitch
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Aug-15-08 01:06 AM
177942, natural mystic street team^
Posted by nicknice, Fri Aug-15-08 10:06 AM
sad ass dick rider...
177980, im her man you stupid fucking retard.
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Aug-15-08 07:29 PM
please reply so i can continue to make you look stupid (hell, you're doing a good job yourself).

it's funny how stupid you are. bitch.

177993, whats funny is hes tough typin in here
Posted by , Sat Aug-16-08 01:59 AM

but bein all friendly in GD.
i dont understand this place sometimes.
lol.
178012, your posts annoy me.
Posted by nicknice, Sat Aug-16-08 07:55 PM
got any common vids?
n/m
178026, then why are you clicking, replying and co-signing all my shit? link.
Posted by , Sun Aug-17-08 01:41 PM

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=6839891&mesg_id=6839891&page=#6844314

youre life annoys me, but you dont see me acting like a pussy online
do you?

just let it go.
you talkin shit in here, but kissin my ass in another post. fuckin failure.
you made yourself look like the stupidest of bitches in this thread.
let it go.
178126, i agreed with the idea
Posted by nicknice, Wed Aug-20-08 12:30 PM
now that i know it was you....maybe i should change that.
178024, remember in elementary when a boy would hit a girl he liked?
Posted by justin_scott, Sun Aug-17-08 01:39 PM
same thing here.
178028, basically. thats what the inboxes are telling me.
Posted by , Sun Aug-17-08 01:43 PM

LOL.

______

'i aint scared of you motherfuckers.' © Bernie Mac
178125, no one inboxed your fat ass...
Posted by nicknice, Wed Aug-20-08 12:30 PM
check again.
178011, i feel sorry for you...
Posted by nicknice, Sat Aug-16-08 07:54 PM
178023, you're the pathetic piece of shit
Posted by justin_scott, Sun Aug-17-08 01:37 PM
you've been ethered...multiple times. feel sorry for yourself kiddo.
178027, hes tryinta save face. just let him look like a dumbass and let it go.
Posted by , Sun Aug-17-08 01:42 PM

______

178127, no one asked your bitch ass anything...
Posted by nicknice, Wed Aug-20-08 12:31 PM
you're like the dude who kicks the mother fucker on the ground after two people are in a fight.
178214, lol you used 'stan' as an insult in Okay ARTIST of all places??!
Posted by Amritsar, Fri Aug-22-08 08:09 PM
take that shit to the Lesson b
178221, I stay out of the lesson...
Posted by nicknice, Fri Aug-22-08 10:47 PM
178029, by the way, much like life, and posting, you fail at jade typhooning.
Posted by , Sun Aug-17-08 01:53 PM

just stop.

______

178166, you're fat, ugly, and suck at life
Posted by budz4zo, Thu Aug-21-08 09:17 AM
why the fuck are you and your gay ass lover replying to
each others posts when you sit right next to each other.
log off and eat a sandwich. bitch.
177453, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by jibber, Sun Aug-03-08 06:59 PM
In my humble opinion, you go to a festival to catch a bunch of your favorite artists all in one place, and hope to stumble upon some cats you're heard of (or maybe you haven't)that peak your interest. Or at least give you an incling of what their about. It's rare to see a short set that knocks you on your ass, especially in a huge venue festival setting.

I've seen the mighty mos about 20 times since 2000. He is consistently one of the best hip hop performers out there. One of, if not the best I've ever seen. And believe me when I say I see a ton of shows. One of the perks of living in the LA area. Catch him in any smaller club across the country and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

best mos moment: hob hollywood, me on the wall center stage
on stage is mos, kweli, common, kanye and will.. all bouncin within 20 ft of me. DOPE! some chump next to me even got all of them to sign his hat during the song. ridiculous. now i wish is was that chump :)
177598, Just saw him at HOB in N.O.
Posted by futuristiclyric, Thu Aug-07-08 09:46 PM
and he killed dat shit. Did about an hour and a half show, and an encore. Dude just likes to perform... old stuff, new stuff, stuff he just made up and some songs that weren't even his. The crowd does go wild when the classics play, but i liked to hear new stuff.I like to see artists do their thing. Besides if you want to hear the bangers, you always have the CD.
177608, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by cfinnerty, Fri Aug-08-08 10:40 AM
i was at RTB in boston, and mos def actually did a lot of older stuff off of black on both sides. though maybe the first 15 mins was sing-song stuff, he wasn't as dissapointing as you made it sound. i guess i would have been pissed if he did experimenting the whole time, but my guess is he gauges things based on the crowd. the boston crowd kind of sucked, they weren't feeling pharcyde or de la very much, so maybe mos decided it wouldn't be a good crowd to experiment with.

w/e, he did ms. fat booty, hip hop, love, close edge, the boogieman song, & of course umi says... so i was happy
177613, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by aisha, Fri Aug-08-08 02:19 PM
yea other RTB cities seem to have gotten a completely different set maybe that's what we get for being first...?
177615, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by cfinnerty, Fri Aug-08-08 02:59 PM
>yea other RTB cities seem to have gotten a completely
>different set maybe that's what we get for being first...?

or maybe he read your letter.. haha
177630, this made me laugh too...
Posted by aisha, Fri Aug-08-08 08:29 PM
and then I got sad :(

If he read this I just hope he knows it's out of love!
177617, Can't Be That Bad
Posted by Black Broadway, Fri Aug-08-08 03:59 PM
I've never had the pleasure of seeing Mos live. My sister saw him in NY a minute ago and said it was off the chain. When I get my paper up and I have the opportunity, I'm definitely gonna have to see for myself.
177629, Oh he's definitely off the chain
Posted by aisha, Fri Aug-08-08 08:28 PM
definitely. But it just seems that fans increasingly need to catch him on a good night if there are other people on the bill.
177635, RE: An Open Letter To Mos Def
Posted by D angelo Please Come Back, Sat Aug-09-08 12:35 AM
Mos is an incredible artist, that's "Undeniable" ! :-)
I love all of his LPs, EPs. guest appearances, & bootlegs
My most cherished download is a recording of the Mighty Mos
performing Stevie Wonders Too High. You never know what you'll
get at a live show and I hope Mos doesn't change that before
I have chance to see him a dozen more times.
177644, PS: stop wifing up these ditzy broads, and start using condoms
Posted by Raina, Sat Aug-09-08 01:07 PM

Crouching Toddler, Hidden Kaia
177994, i love you raina.
Posted by , Sat Aug-16-08 02:00 AM

______

177885, most rap acts don't care about their fans
Posted by mr_graff, Thu Aug-14-08 01:45 PM
We're just a means to them getting their seed money for the clothing line, restaurant, acting classes or whatever.
178021, These are the worst kinds of posts
Posted by L.E.S., Sun Aug-17-08 08:28 AM
let this post die..

Mos Def is an artist. He don't owe you shit.
178111, These are the worst type of responses
Posted by aisha, Tue Aug-19-08 07:32 PM
The ones that don't READ first. I never not once said he owed me anything; but thanks for your opinion anyway.
178122, RE: These are the worst type of responses
Posted by L.E.S., Wed Aug-20-08 10:23 AM
i did read it. When you first posted it a month ago.

i just think its ridiculous. its like you're taking what Mos Def

does personally. those questions you're asking him, 'don't the

blank stares bother you?' Mos is an artist. He's always done

what he's wanted to do when he wants to do it. It's obvious

at this point he isn't content with just making rap records

and performing them live. take it for what it is and if you enjoy

it all the better. personally, i think what happened with Mos is

similar to what happened to Bob Dylan in the 60s (except on

a much smaller scale for Mos). when he came out with BOBS

after Black Star, everybody was labeling him this one thing and

putting him in a box. i think that made him want to do a lot of

other types of music and performances.