Go back to previous topic
Forum nameR.I.P. J DILLA (1974 - 2006)
Topic subjectMajor Media Outlets Doing DILLA Tributes/Coverage
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=27&topic_id=3314&mesg_id=3314
3314, Major Media Outlets Doing DILLA Tributes/Coverage
Posted by apex, Tue Feb-14-06 12:14 PM
okay, so when i cam into work this morning i saw that Yahoo News ran a story on Dilla, which is huge in terms of coverage. Also, i was reading another thread where someone said 95.5 (I live in DC, for those that don't know... 95.5 is like our Hot 97) was doing Dilla tribute mixes, etc...

now, am I the only one that sees this with mixed reactions?

on one hand, I am truly surprised and happy that he is getting coverage and his story is being brought to a broader audience...

on the other hand, FUCK that shit man... these niggas ain't gave 2 shits about him when he was alive, and now that he's passed they on some "he was the greatest..." blah blah blah... i feel disrespected that artists like Dilla (and MANY others) have worked hard for over a decade and putting out CLASSIC shit, and no one even tried to check for him or give him that major exposure. Major media was shitting on the Common albums and would only play The Light and Come Close, etc.... they never gave Slum Village any REAL exposure... Scracth Magazine, who everybody considers the pinnacle producer's mag has yet to run a story on this dude at all... and watch them do some tribute and claim him to be this innovator, etc. my question is, why does dude have to die to get some coverage?

niggas is funny man for real...

in a fuckin twisted mindset, i guess i just feel like the fam and fans who supported him when he was alive have the right to come out with luv... do you think he would have ran himself into the ground if he was getting major media support, allowing slum,tribe,common, etc to go plat in the late 90's/early 00's? maybe if he didn't have to put out a million projects just to feed himself, he wouldn't have ran his body down like that... not to say the media is responsible, but if the media supports you and helps get you exposure to reach mass audiences, is it safe to say you'll eat better and be in a financial position to take breaks, time off, etc... like Dave Chappelle?

anybody feel me on this?