Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectGuitar Players: Building Speed Discussions
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=7337
7337, Guitar Players: Building Speed Discussions
Posted by Tom and Jerry, Mon Jun-05-06 03:59 PM
1. Start slow: most important, how you play slow is how you will play fast

2. Use a metronome correctly: Chart your progress, play your scales on 8th notes, triplets, and then 16th notes

3. Stretch: run your hands over some warm water, before you start to exercise

4. Exercise: 1234 up and down the fretboard at least 10 minutes a day, with the metronome on 16th, start slow, then 1324. then 1423

5. Learn how to legato: Speed on the guitar is 99 % illusion. Learn this technique.

6. Build Stamina: no one wants a one minute man. Practice, and remember the best thing you can do is take a day off.

7. Exercise: Fingertip pushups, at least 10 a day.

8. Patience: Speed comes in time, one day it will all just click.

9. Dedication: Set a time 15 minutes a day for 4 days is better than 3 hours one day a week.

10. Speed Kills: Any Pain, stop and make sure your thunb is in the correct position, and of course RELAX RELAX RELAX.

7353, I spent years...
Posted by hathasoul, Mon Jun-05-06 05:05 PM
developing legato and picking technique's... sat in my bedroom in my early teens wanting to become steve lukather lol...I have no use now for any of that.. so unless you wanna do that instrumental guitar rock god shit I don't recommend it lol..

but yeah for those that do.. practice to a metronome make sure you're tight with the click!
7401, RE: Guitar Players: Building Speed Discussions
Posted by ChanEpic, Tue Jun-06-06 01:14 PM
any tips for the beginning guitarzan other than those posted above? WEbsites, books?
Thanks
7435, As far as fingerpicking goes
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Jun-06-06 10:01 PM
it's all in the rolling bass. Get that thumbwork down and digits one and two (or three or even four if you're really lucky) will follow.

And, uh, if yer the cheatin' type then open tunings can make you sound a lot faster than you may actually be.
7443, good stuff...
Posted by zionites16, Wed Jun-07-06 12:09 AM
been working on this forever and it becomes second nature.

but what the hell is legato ?
7448, hammer-ons and pull-offs n/m
Posted by soulmatic09, Wed Jun-07-06 01:41 AM
7489, Legato + video
Posted by Tom and Jerry, Wed Jun-07-06 12:20 PM
Legato - playing a continuous and fluid series of notes with out using much picking. Guitarists play this technique by the usage of hammer-ons, pull-offs, and right (or left if your a lefty) hand tapping. Legato provides for very fluid sounding runs and licks. Legato also serves as a great means for playing wide intervallic licks at high speed.

video: http://www.freelicks.net/FILM/Trailer.wmv "Le Gat To" ha