Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectcosign
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=6052&mesg_id=6142
6142, cosign
Posted by Selassie I God, Thu May-25-06 10:26 AM
especially the part about setting levels for kick and bass. Of course, depending on the sound/sample that you use, this may have to be tweaked a bit. I can't stand a mix that is flooded with bass, leaving the mastering engineer to "fix it".

Get the desired sound of your kick (gate, EQ, compression), then set the level. I personally add the snare next, just so that I can feel the basic rhythm of the song, then I get the bass involved using the same basic approach. The "sound value"(for lack of a better term), of the kick and the bass should be equivalent - neither one dominating the other. Then I build the rest of the drum kit around that and add other instruments, usually ending with vocals.

Allah is correct on another thing also - experiment. Use the tips - anyone can learn and benefit from the lessons - but use your ears and your judgement to find the sound that you are seeking for your mix. Don't "mix by numbers", ay least not as a strict rule. Feel and overall sound are the keys to a good mix. Having said that, know what the numbers mean because they can help you get your mix "in the ballpark" alot quicker, especially if you are mixing something that you haven't heard before, or didn't cut. Type of music has a bearing on the mix as well. You may want a rounder low end on a reggae track and more of a punchier sound on say, a hip hop track.

I hope these tips help you to create better mixes in the future.

JAH Bless.

"And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not; Behold the Lion of the Tribe of Judah the Root of David hath prevailed..." (Revelation 5:5) Holy Emmanuel I Selassie I JAH Rastafari