Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectOh shit!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=5035
5035, Oh shit!
Posted by FireBrand, Wed May-17-06 05:37 PM
damn. I got a question...why should someone get pro tools? Is it that much better?

<---The real World Cup.
ATL, Hoe!
www.myspace.com/northernarcatl
www.northernarc.net
www.last.fm/user/KwadwoJuma/
5038, its just popular...
Posted by willi_dudat, Wed May-17-06 05:40 PM
there is no need to go blowin all that dough on protools... just about any program you come across will do you good... im sure that there are some features that protools have that other programs don't but overall, its not a must do...

over and out
du
5040, word.
Posted by FireBrand, Wed May-17-06 05:41 PM

<---The real World Cup.
ATL, Hoe!
www.northernarc.net
5039, from what i hear yes
Posted by Monster_Zero, Wed May-17-06 05:40 PM
5041, wheres your OK????
Posted by Von Pea, Wed May-17-06 05:42 PM

von pea mentioned myspace in a rhyme back in 2004
http://www.myspace.com/vonpeamusic

The Red Giants are the shit.
5043, better question...
Posted by willi_dudat, Wed May-17-06 05:43 PM
where's mine???

LOL...

just bsn'...

over and out
du
5048, I'm FREE!
Posted by FireBrand, Wed May-17-06 05:48 PM

<---The real World Cup.
ATL, Hoe!
www.northernarc.net
5051, FREE!
Posted by jetblack, Wed May-17-06 05:50 PM
5052, im keeping mines until im an okayartist
Posted by Von Pea, Wed May-17-06 05:52 PM
hahaha

von pea mentioned myspace in a rhyme back in 2004
http://www.myspace.com/vonpeamusic

The Red Giants are the shit.
5114, lol. I feel you.
Posted by FireBrand, Wed May-17-06 08:06 PM

<---The real World Cup.
ATL, Hoe!
www.northernarc.net
5060, it interfaces with the high end external user interfaces better
Posted by Allah, Wed May-17-06 06:00 PM
like they make some external user interfaces EXPLICITLY for
protools. If you not going to get that deep into it, i.e. full
blow studio with a mastering set up, then..........
5066, compared to Logic...thats what i wanna know
Posted by NaijahGirl, Wed May-17-06 06:06 PM
5090, the biggest reason is that its the "industry standard"
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed May-17-06 06:40 PM
meaning that, anytime you make a track/song in pro tools, you can almost always take it to any studio and simply import the entire session.

nowadays most are getting savvier and adding multiple formats, however, so its not as big a deal as it once was.

the high end pro tools hd systems are renowned for their converters and "sound"- which is supposed to be a huge jup in quality from their home based systems, the digi family.

its got a lot of tricks up its sleeve though.... but it depends on you and what you are comfortable with.

me, i rock cubase, and i am better in cubase then i would be in pro tools simply due to familiarity and comfort.

when purchasing an audio/midi sequencer you need to ask your self a few things:

1.are you more midi based, or more audio based? the general consensus is that pro tools isnt your best bet for midi

2. do you plan on getting a seperate sound card/interface? moreover, do you have money to do so? pro tools always comes with, and doenst work without, its own hardwware, with the exception of pro tools free, which i am not even sure they make anymore. cubase/logic/etc do come bundled with an audio/midi interface, but its generally a lesser lite" version. a good way o go is to cop the emu 1820 soundcard with breakout box and its cubase sl software, which allows for a discounted upgrade (as do most squencers that come packaged like this) but the real reason for this scenario is to take advantage of Emu's low cost, high end converters. they make (or perhaps once made, one of the two) the chips that go into the pro tools hd converters. many magazines and seasoned users say that this little box blows away many interfaces, such as the excellent ones made by motu, at a reatively small price of $399.... no that isnt a sales pitch, thats just what i understand about the box. it can be a challenge to figue out i am told, but everyone i know with one does have great sound quality.

hope this all helps
5105, I read a review of LE 7 in electronic musician and.....
Posted by Seven, Wed May-17-06 07:37 PM

>
>1.are you more midi based, or more audio based? the general
>consensus is that pro tools isnt your best bet for midi
>
>

.......they say the latest version has alot better MIDI functioning
5186, logic and cubase are both superior midi sequencers
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed May-17-06 10:32 PM
as is sonar, though pt has made some strides

sonar and cubase are both excellent alternatives.

i been rockin cubase for three years now and i love it
5092, No. As long as you're not messing with a bunch of other cats who
Posted by InstruMental, Wed May-17-06 06:45 PM
have jumped militantly on the bandwagon, don't screw with it if you don't need it.

Your sound quality is going to be the same; your hardware determines that, not your software (severe coding errors notwithstanding).

That said, if you have no sound card to speak of and a not-speedy CPU, the hardware component will be a nice upgrade. But today, an up-front system with a good DAC on-card will get you all you need and more, for less cost, and with upgradeability, which Pro Tools only has by making you buy a new unit.

5143, RE: Oh shit!
Posted by LANSTARR, Wed May-17-06 08:56 PM
Just industry standard. The software is no better than a Digital Performer or a Nuendo. Its just the protools format is standard for exchange between studios. Plus its the hardware it come with also. But the software it self is no better than other popular DAW's.