Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectRE: Got a new beat or song? Want people to listen? Put it right here.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=46936&mesg_id=47313
47313, RE: Got a new beat or song? Want people to listen? Put it right here.
Posted by DigiSoul, Sat Jun-11-11 12:11 PM
I must say that I enjoyed your track. I have to admit that while I certainly don't mind listening to independent youtube and soundcloud artists, I somehow wind up rolling my eyes quite a bit. That wasn't the case with you as I found myself repeating it several times.

From the sound of your voice I would assume that you are pretty young but you've studied your history. You possess a unique vocal delivery that on one hand pays homage to the elders of hip hop's glorious past (Special Ed, O.C., Wu sample) yet you are keenly aware of the genre's current state of being. I also liked how you injected a more upbeat mood than some might normally invoke with this particular sample.

My suggestion would be that you change the title of the track to something that won't give listeners, as DJ Schwann's post implies, the idea that you are trying to remake history and draw unfair comparisons to the original. That would also be unfair to your talent as it stands on it's own. To me, it sounded like you just took a sample that had already been used and put your own touch on it. Keep up the good work.

Props man...