Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectRE: DJ Schwann Beats, Vol. 1
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=44529&mesg_id=45568
45568, RE: DJ Schwann Beats, Vol. 1
Posted by alexei90, Tue Jun-08-10 11:55 PM
first suggestion is clean up the mp3 tags, cause when i exported it to wmp, only two tracks had the titles you gave them, which made it confusing.

the intro seems unnecessary

in "the strings" you might want to try to lower the volume of the sample or fade it out or something, cause it just cuts out. maybe there's a bass there i'm not hearing cause my speakers kind of suck, idk.

the groundwork for "ever since" is definitely there, but it doesn't sound like it's mixed too well.

"madness" is pretty dope, as is "freshman orientation"

"the old renewed" is definitely my favorite.

"final stretch" is good, too.

i think the main problem was the fact that it was 29 tracks long. i think instead of having a bunch of :30-1:30 long tracks, you're better off developing 10-15 tracks and making them like 1:30-2:30, even longer if you want. cause a lot of the instrumentals are solid foundations, but it just feels like you didn't do enough with em. some sort of instrumentation would be nice, like in "Windows Up" for example. If you put some little piano phrases over parts of it, it could add a whole new dimension to the track.

"Good night" was a good track to end on, it had considerably more form than the others

all that above is just my opinion, by the way. please don't take it personally. i often sound like an asshole without meaning to.

may i ask what kind of set-up you have? like what kind of hardware/software you use?