Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjecti get my drums off of records
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=42707&mesg_id=43524
43524, i get my drums off of records
Posted by Flasher, Sun Jul-05-09 07:00 AM
in my collection. somtimes i sample a whole drum kit from the same break, sometimes i get a kick from this one, a snare from that one and a shaker from that other one... sometimes i just listen to a record that i have just sampled for music and i'll search for single open drum hits until i have a whole kit. that technique actually works really good. sometimes i get on this hype where i want to sample drums that aren't exactly all the way open. that's probably my favorite because you have to be nice to get the extra notes out. i learned to do this from using the breaks on songs like sing a simple song and why can't people be colors too.

i don't know of any drums you could download. i'd say just go to any store with used vinyl and keep your ears peeled for open drum sounds. it's challenging to make drums this way but with practice you can get them to sound better. there's a million drum breaks that you can find out about tht have been sampled millions of times for very good reason, because they fuckin sound good. you know, impeach the president, funky presidnent, funky drummer, synthetic substitution, shit even billy jean has a perfectly fat drum break with high quality drums sounds. start out doing the knowledge on those and practice chopping them up and reprogamming them. fuck it, if you don't know too much loop em until you get tired of it and eventually you'll be ready to flip em right.

try different eq settings on different breaks, try experimenting with the decay on the drum hits so that sometimes you leave a little hissy dust air on your notes and soemtimes you compress the sound envelope to get a crisper more clipped type of note... and don't be scared to sample drums that you are certain came from a drum machine, they sound fat when you chop em.

above all tho, i can't stress this enough, if you want that official big league sound, you have to use vinyl, cds, tapes, all that shit doesn't sound as thick and crunchy as vinyl sampled drum breaks. those dr dre drums you sampled are him combing the crates for the textures he desires. you can even take a mic and clap into it, shake a jingle bell, even hit a snare drum and make crazy drums. i heard this one legend that one of dilla's sickerst snares (the source wouldn't say which one) but dilla mic himself hitting a fuckin raisin box.

smh. it can be done tho, you just have to be a crafty fucker.