Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectaight...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=20175&mesg_id=20972
20972, aight...
Posted by Aeon, Mon Jan-15-07 05:41 PM
this isnt bad at all.
i think you should really concentrate on 2 things-

variation

layering

i say variation, because except for maybe one section/bar where they dropped, the drums were pretty much the same. the synth didn't really match the vocals imo, the original sample kinda matched sadat's vox in that it was an airy sample, ethereal almost. fit right under sadat's reflective choice of words and imagery.. since you used this synth, i think maybe some sections where the synth stuters for like, a bar or two, drops out completely, or maybe both the drums and synth stutter together, would give the song a little more movement so it doesnt just plod along.

as for layering, i say that because the finished product as is kinda sparse. sometimes sparse is really good but sometimes it leaves a little or a lot to be desired. in this case it's just a little but there still feels like there could be something more. if you added another synth stab here or there, a simple string note being played over top the synth, a bass line, nothing fancy, maybe one note over the first and second kick in each loop of the drums, it would give the song alotta depth and make it more interesting, give sadat's words more oomph (because let's be honest, sadat didnt get very deep on us here, and left to their own devices, his lyrics are fairly ho-hum)

hi tek's beat carried him for all intents and purposes, and it's because it had enough going on to make his verse official.