Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectRE: it doesn't take all week to clean up vocal placement and phrasing....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=20175&mesg_id=20513
20513, RE: it doesn't take all week to clean up vocal placement and phrasing....
Posted by DurhamNCredible, Sat Jan-06-07 10:14 PM
That's what's good on the breakdown of my beats. As far as cutting the vocals samples and phrasing, Exhibit A: the Van Dross sample on "Other Side of the World" OR Sade on "This May Miss U". These were supposed to be unclean and abrupt. That technique was inspired by a track on Freddiie Foxxx's very slept on KONEXION cd. He got a piece called "Step Up" where his deejay does a live (and I admit clean) turntable rearrangment of Audio Two's famous verse, "Step up if yu wanna get hurt!" into "If yu step up, yu get hurt!" The idea is to rearrange the words of a well-known verse or sentence into a completely different sentence, verse or phrase, thereby creating new or ironic meaning. I mean, who knew Luther Van Dross was concerned about Bush frontin on the aircraft carrier? LOL... I dunno man, I just make a sincere effort to stay on some off-center ish. Experimentation with vocal samples is a pasttime within a pasttime for me.

What do mean by "changing the envelope"?

As for not taking all week to clean up vocals, I really do this off inspiration so sometimes I complete 3 songs in one day with fractions left over or sometimes it may take a month to finish constructing the core beat not to mention the bells and whistles.