Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectWord;
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=19544&mesg_id=20143
20143, Word;
Posted by InstruMental, Mon Jan-01-07 10:32 PM
Far Beyond the One Purpose - This cut is so simple it's ridiculous. Perfect example, I think, of beauty in simplicity, though. Nice sax loop..and those piano chords were right on point. Only thing is, the drum pattern keeps reminding me of Crazy, the Gnarls joint; I think it's the crispness of the snare combined with that kind of kick pattern, at that tempo. The periodic triangle-esque hit sits well on the backs of the phrases, and overall the whole vibe of this joint is real easy to groove to. I feel like I recognize those voice clips, but I can't hear what they're saying :( and I'm too absent-minded to recall them.

Lucky is a HOT joint yo! That loop is of some beautiful orchestration, and I'm digging what you did with the drums, esp. the hi-hat. This is the type of track where I bet if you spread the strings out through the stereo panorama you'd get absolute magic. Either a stereo imaging plugin or the old doubling trick, I'd love to hear if you're willing to mess w/something like that. That kick is nice and juicy.

Breath of Fresh Air - good to hear you laying in a discrete bass line, and some real nice sounds in this joint top to bottom. That bass line switches up at the right time to kill any building repetitiveness without being too obtrusive, which is what it does best. Iunno...the sounds fit each other real well in this cut. I'm not sure if the drums in the intro are in the sample, but if it's possible, it'd be cool to hear a couple bars with no drums at all.