Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectYou are what I like to call a beast.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=19544&mesg_id=20118
20118, You are what I like to call a beast.
Posted by InstruMental, Mon Jan-01-07 12:42 PM
Evolutionsolmusic got me in the Herbie mode now..lol; I think this cut, more than anything, is aching to get some vocals on it. I bet you could boost that electric sound AND the...harmonica? ha!...sound without compromising the groove in the least bit. Those drums are indeed beastly, though, nice and grunge-laden.

Is that Wes on LR? Either that or I mighta heard that riff on some late Charlie Christian or sumn. YO, hot tempo switch to the dnb..and you gon have to tell me directly you ain't borrow that break from somewhere..GYEAH!! The vibe of this cut is extra cool, though...although I do wish there were another lick to offset the one guitar chop, just for contrapunctus' sake. It was hard for me to even find something to look for in this joint, though; 'tis Official.

I think I'm in love with your hi-hat game on onthe9sometimes. I myself don't often leave enough open space in my joint to let me turn down the hats and have them still cut through, so it's a fresh change to hear it done effectively. Real cool cut, though, VERY nicely chopped, and the drums as a whole are definitely pulling their weight in leading the track. If I did want for something in this one, I'd say that you could use more of your stereo panorama. The snare has some discrete channeling, but I bet the samplework could benefit from some real creative panning, too.