Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectPostmark - funky hip hop from the dub side
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=17141&mesg_id=45273
45273, Postmark - funky hip hop from the dub side
Posted by getonthegoodfoot, Fri Apr-16-10 02:17 PM

First, if I'm replying to these threads wrong please let me know. I'm really good with a sampler, but not so good with a computer.

I am...

Postmark.

From Toronto (in that little country north of the USA called Canada)

My music is sample based hip hop with an emphasis on funky rhythms. I'm also an accomplished drummer, alto saxophonist and I play a mean melodica. My beats are percussion heavy and take production tips from the great dub masters like Lee Perry and King Tubby.

I've been making beats for just under 2 years, BUT I've been a musician ever since I can remember. In that 2 years I've released 3 albums of instrumentals and secured a distribution deal with Intellegenix Records, a label based out of Toronto.

Ideally, I want to produce beats for MC's and singers. My goal is to produce full length albums for these vocalists, rather than just sell beats individually. One day I would like to release an album like Pete Rock's Soul Survivor series or Marco Polo's Port Authority. In other words, an album produced by me with all my heroes on it.

I am never short on inspiration. The sound of the wind is enough to inspire me to make music.

If i could learn music under one master, it would undoubtedly be Pete Rock. The way in which he is able to combine multiple records that have no releation to each other into one original production never ceases to amaze me.

Hope to get to know some of you beatmakers out there. I don't meet people in Toronto that are on the same musical tip as me, so this would be refreshing.

One love,

Postmark

myspace.com/postmarkbeats
soundcloud.com/postmark